original version of Auld Lang Syne…strathspey?

original version of Auld Lang Syne…strathspey?

I know that this is by no means the correct place to ask for this, but I have run out of options….I am looking for the original music to this tune so I can print and and out to a group to play at a gathering….I have found numerous stripped down versions, and enen pipe versions, but I think I am correct in sayying that the original tune was a strathspey and Burns added the words later….does anybody have a source for the music?

Thanks in advance

Re: original version of Auld Lang Syne…strathspey?

Listen to another ‘original tune’ here:

http://www.pbm.com/pipermail/minstrel/1995/000154.html

& here:

http://web.ripnet.com/~nimmos/midi_files/auld_lang_syne_orig.mid

& here is a long piece on that very subject:
""AULD LANG SYNE,"—ITS ORIGIN, POETRY, AND MUSIC. By JAMES DICK, NEWCA8TLE-ON-TYNE. COMMUNICATED BY ALEX. WOOD INGLIS, F.S.A. SCOT."

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/articles/langsyne.htm

thanks…those are the ones I was thinking of…definitely a lot nicer than the "new" version…I’m still looking for the dots

yes, thanks much..

I actually know the people who own that web site…go to Scottish fiddle camp (not camping) with them every year in Valle Crucis, N.C…..Jink and Diddle (long may your bow jink and diddle…)

fun folks they are

If my memory serves me correctly, there is a strathspey version of Auld Lang Syne in The Athole Collection, which was compiled sometime in C19. The tune is, of course, much older than that, though. I think it is quite likely that it existed as an air to an older song even before it was a strathspey.

you are right about it being an older tune, an air…that is what I had remembered form a couple of years ago and what I was searching out…I have found that there were several variants on the air and strathspey before it became the "original" auld lang syne…it was called Comin thro the rye, I fee’d a lad aat Michaelmas, Johnnie Lad, and I’ve Been Courting at a Lass…the "rye" tune has words that ring real familiar with the book "The Catcher in the Rye",

Burns wrote some words to the affect of "gin a body kiss a body comin’ through the grain. Need a body grudge a body what’s a body’s ain?"

The oldest variant of the tune seems to be "The Duke of Buccleughs Tune" published in 1690.

I’m pretty green at ABC but here’s my version:

X:1
T:Auld Lang Syne (Old tune)
M:4/4
L:1/8
S: Kitchen Musician
Z:AllenJay 12/18/05
K:G
A2 | d3de2f2 | A3BdA2A2 | dbf3a2g2 | e6e2 |
d3BA2G2 | A3BA2B2 | d3de2d2 | d6d2 |
g3ga2b2 | d3ed2d2 | g2b2a2g2 | e6 e2 |
d3 BA2G2 | A3GA2B2 | d3de2d2 | g4 z2 |]

Posted by .

As I said, I’m green at this. Here’s the proper version.
X:1
T:Auld Lang Syne (Old tune)
M:4/4
L:1/8
S: Kitchen Musician
Z:AllenJay 12/18/05
K:G
d2 | g3ga2b2 | d3ed2d2 | gb3a2g2 | e6e2 |
d3BA2G2 | A3BA2B2 | d3de2d2 | d6d2 |
g3ga2b2 | d3ed2d2 | g2b2a2g2 | e6 e2 |
d3 BA2G2 | A3GA2B2 | d3de2d2 | g4 z2 |]

Posted by .