Favorite Tunes

Favorite Tunes

Name three of your favorite tunes and the people who play them?
Mine would be Humors of Ballyconnell/Noel Hill and Tony Linnane. Golden Eagle/Keiran Hanrahan. Oak Tree/Tommy peoples. Them three are some of my favorites.

Re: Favorite Tunes

I seem to have a different one each month. Right now, it’s "Drowsy Maggie" as played by Matt Molloy in the Wooden Flute Obsession CD #2.

Wow! Sean Smyth a great fiddle player. What was it like playing with him?

Brillant Zina

Lovely Mp3. Is that version of Paddy Fahy’s on this site. Lovely sweet playing Zina. How long have you been playing because your great. Any more tunes of you playing with I can hear. Thanks

Well, we only really played a couple of tunes together, the group of us, but I’d have to say that in general it was every bit as nice an experience as you might imagine. He’s very intelligent, funny, and extremely Irish in his sense of humor. He’s a terrific teacher — if you get a chance to take one of his workshops, spare no expense or time scheduling to get there.

He taught us several tricks he says he uses regularly with his playing. After I’m done with George’s and Kevin’s stuff, if you like, I’ll post some snippets of the workshop. (Mr. Smyth told us after he’d finished that we were all now ready to take his place with the band, because he was sick of them. *grin*)

Zina

Yipes!

Good god, that’s not me, Paul. That’s George Keith. I could only wish I played as well as George! You can hear more of George’s playing at his websites — his former band, 9 Pint Coggie, is at http://www.9pintcoggie.com/, and his webpage is http://www.georgekeith.net/.

Zina

The second Paddy Fahy’s tune I heard Eileen Iver’s play and the Green fields of Tyrol after it and I think she’s out of this world. That was the first time I heard of her. What CD do you think is the best one to get of her. I actually play the banjo but I really really love the fiddle.

The first Fahy’s is at https://thesession.org/tunes/859. The second one is also here, I believe Will put it up.

Eileen Iver’s stuff is pretty mixed up. If you want traditional, be careful which one you get — I think it’s the one with her pic in a denim shirt is the tradtional one. Wild Blue is more contemporary, and the later ones are pretty much all over the place in terms of influences.

zls

I have the second one buts thanks for the first.๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes, Zina, please post Sean’s snippets - or is that snippets of Sean? Anyway, I thought his workshop here (last winter) was awesome and would be very interested in hearing what he did up there. He didn’t tell us we were ready to take his place with the band - perhaps you guys did better, or perhaps he wasn’t tired of them yet (it was at the beginning of the tour)…

Probably the latter, Sos. *grin* I’ve got a bunch of stuff to do this week, but maybe I can cram it in. If not, then next week.

Zina

Are you from America Zina? I’m from Ireland myself. Where does Sean have this workshop, Ireland or America?

Thanks for them Mp3s of George Keith. Class To fiddles a banjo a flute and guitar you can beat them. Excellent

Well Zina, when I come up to visit you next month, maybe you’ll have time to sit down with me and show me the snippets? Sean was doing the workshops while on tour in America, don’t know if he does them over in Ireland or not…

Yes, I’m in the States, in Denver, Colorado. Lunasa gives workshops all over, though, wherever they travel. If they’re appearing anywhere near you, check for workshops. They seem to do most of their touring in the States, though…

Zina

Oo, argh, I hate it when we overlap like this…Sos, yes, of course we can go over the tape of Sean’s stuff! By then I should have everything all settled out from the tape, and if you like I’ll burn it off for you onto a CD and you can take them with you.

Anyone else care to visit Denver in October?

Oh, yipes, I’d better go get ready for rehearsal…

zls

Yeah. My favourite tune it”s a different one each week!
To name a few of my favourites for long time: The Miller of Drohan (Lunasa - Otherworld), Touch me if you dare (Beginish - Stormy Weather), Mick Finn’s (Matt Molloy - Molloy, Peoples & Brady).

Zina, I would care to, but I can’t. Have a great time you lucky things, you. And by the way you do play beautifully. One day ……………
Cheers

Posted by .

I like not to mix up the thing about favourite tunes and favourite performances. I thing the things are very seperate.

The tunes themselves are these strange etherial creatures that exist only in our collective minds. We pluck them out of this ether, massage them with our mood swings and give them temporarry tangible lives as vibrating molecules that touch our senses. Then back they die, back to their ether, a little changed, enhanced maybe, and ready to be plucked once more.

Recordings are (nowaday’s) noughts and ones indelebly etched into indestructable plastic. Never changing, never evolving, condemend forever to the dusty museums of dreary shelf space

Posted .

Jaysus Michael!. Have you been reading to Yeats lately?? ๐Ÿ™‚

You’re right, but I think Paul is asking for your favourite performances of your favourite tunes, isn’t he?

For instance, I love the Fuxhunter’s reel, but I haven’t heard a recorded version that matches some of the versions I’ve heard in sessions. So, forget about the plastic thing and have a go!

The foxhunters is indeed brilliant.
In the penultimate part, I like to play a C sharp roll instead of the top A . Sounds fab along with all the other top As
Then go into The Bucks of Oranmore (spelling?). But play it doubles. It’s just over too quick when you play it singles, no time for variations

Posted .

Have you been tippling Michael,or God forbid down in the Mushroom Farm?!!!
Alan

Oh Zina! Please point me in the direction of some ABC’s for the pfahey1.mp3. There are too darn many Paddy Fahey tunes to search through!

For you foxhunters fans. I have heard it played session style by The Celtic Fiddle Festival on the Encore CD. https://thesession.org/recordings/175

I keep trying to figure out what my favorite tune is. I have grown and changed throughout the years. I could have answered this question easily a few years back. That was the last time I clearly remember. "Crested Hens" was my favorite. Nowadays I have this blur of tunes that I absolutely love. Not a one of them wants to come forward and admit that it is my favorite.

Perhaps this will do. "Music for a found Harmonium" has invaded my brain this evening. I have been considering it for my CD. I think everyone will enjoy it.

Kevin

I believe you just posted the Paddy Fahy’s That I have just learned - Thanks to you. I think I can see you all tomorrow. I can play a whole bunch of my favorites.

Yup! See you tomorrow! That was my favorite Paddy Fahey’s until Zina posted the other one. George Keith is my hero! Wish I could do either tune justice. Nearly got the other Paddy Fahey’s by ear now, but I won’t pull that one out for a while yet.

BTW, can we start a new thread and decide upon names for all of these Paddy Fahey tunes? I have no less than eight different tunes in my MP3 collection with the title "Paddy Fahey". If not names, then at least numbers!

You mean, like, "that one Fahy tune", Kevin?

Christine, I assume you found the second ABC, Kevin put it up, https://thesession.org/tunes/463. Now stop lurking, you. ๐Ÿ™‚

Zina

"No, not that one, but that one."
But I think there are about 40 Paddy Fahey compositions, beautifully intricate, and not a name to be had amongst them. Why bother with names though when the tunes stand alone on the playing? The few ones I have heard are mind blowing fiddle tunes (just a pity they’re a tad difficult on whistle).

I wonder though if Paddy Fahy actually writes dots down on paper at all himself, or does he just compose beautiful tunes out in his fields and pass them on to others in the way of the tradition? So when he meets, say Joe Blogs, in the local, instead of saying "Hi Joe, how are things, what have you been up to, oh what a beautiful day", he sits down with Joe and plays and Joe plays back, and then they both understand it all. Then Joe goes and tells the stories he heard to someone else. etc. etc. etc. Yep, I guess Paddy Fahy (or Fahey) tunes are favourites of mine.
Cheers

Posted by .

Probably more than 40! George Keith told me that the man writes and writes and writes new tunes, and who knows how many we actually know about. Apparently most come from the folks Fahy plays with, or from bootleg copies of Fahy concerts.

Zina

How much Keith could a George Keith Keith if George Keith could Keith Keith - Zina, do I detect a crush? ๐Ÿ™‚ aww - how cute.

Hee…I’d certainly be happy to take lessons from George regularly, that’s for sure. The weird thing is that George Keith and Matt Heaton have very similar voices and vocal patterns. They even choose some of the same phrases and wordings. It’s eerie to be in the same room as them, like if you shut your eyes you’d swear it was twins or dopplegangers or something.

When I pointed this out when An Cuigear visited Colorado, George laughed and said it was funny that I pointed that out, because when Matt and Shannon and George and his girlfriend got together socially the first time, his girlfriend kept saying the same thing.

But I only want him for his fiddle playing. ๐Ÿ™‚

So, are you a second-time dad yet, Brad? Enquiring minds can hardly wait to know!

Zina

George is both a great player & a great person. You’ve got me thinking, "why I don’t go up & visit him more often?" His bunch is only an hour away.
The new baby isn’t due ‘til late Jan early Feb. I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks Zina, I hadn’t noticed it. Soon I will know 3 whole Paddy Fahy tunes. I had no idea Mr. Fahy was still with us, and still writing tunes. That’s very nice to hear.

One of my all time favorite tunes/performances is the reel In Memory of Coleman by Paddy Cronin and Mick Moloney. It’s an Ed Reavy composition.

Geeeeeez, babies take too long. Your wife probably knows exactly what I mean. D’you know if it’s a boy or girl yet, Brad? Should be awfully cute once the little one is the big brother!

Welcome back, Chris! Missed you. I assume Paddy Fahy is still alive — I’ve never heard different…

Zina

Yes, he is still composing. Has anyone here ever had a workshop with him, I wonder? I think it would be really awesome.

Posted by .

No word yet on the boy/girl issue… But as far as Fahey tunes he works off of the F# -Fnatural thing… a lot. As does Tommy Potts, it doesn’t work well in sessions but you can really get into a tune by flating the 3rd & 6th (F & C in D & C & E in G). I really like to do it to tunes to take them to new places.

Mark the fiddler,

Give that music for a harmonium thing a rest, it’s been done to death. I don’t meen stop playing it, I meen don’t bother with a recording.

In fact, a note to anyone who’s compiling a set list for a CD.
Give up the rehashing. It’s pointless. Try just recording your own new compositions. (this has the added value of other musicians being able to learn your tunes + you get more PRS dosh)

Posted .

Michael, what do you mean about playing ‘The Bucks ……..’ double instead of single? (Earlier this thread) I play it in a set with ‘The Jolly Tinker’ and I just play it the way I play it - wouldn’t have a clue whether it is double or single or what! But I love that set. Is that what you mean by rehashing? Sure, some of us (eg. me) might not be up to cutting a CD yet, let alone composing new tunes for it - although I have composed my own little jig - just one more in the thousands already out there in G major. I think it is a tidy little tune though, and I guess you have to start somewhere. We can’t all be radical "+ get more PRS dosh". Whatever that is? Or can we??
cheers

Posted by .

Jill,
You know how when you play reels normally, you play the A part twice, then the B part twice. That’s doubles.
The bucks is usually played singles, that is each of the five parts are only played once. Play them each twice, much more fun, you can really get into it.

By rehashing, I mean recording tunes that have already been recorded. No point to it. (see my earlier posting on idestructable plastic).
The Performers Rights Society regulates the money you get for public performances of your music. On the radio or whatever. If you wrote the music rather than just arranged it, you get more money. This is open to abuse however, like the Rolling Stones copywriting Little Red Rooster.

Posted .

OK, I didn’t even realise there were five parts. Derrrrrrrrr ๐Ÿ™‚
No risk of getting more PRS dosh - or any for that matter!
Can’t imagine copywriting me little jig in G major, just one in thousands, or playing it other than perhaps on community radio (for a big fat zilch) if they would have me. You must be big time, Michael to know of these things - is it as a soloist or in what band?

Posted by .

You know that phrase "Has been"?
I’m a "never was"

Posted .

Argh, but a knowledgeable ‘never was’, none-the-less!
Although I find that hard to believe.
And here I was starting to dream $$$$$$$ and ********’s on me little jig. Wonder if they’ve got a PRS downunder. Not that it would make any difference - maybe they’d arrest me for playing an original composition in public for nothing. Then again, maybe not - just feel sorry.
Oh! well, back to the practice room for a couple more decades. Just out of curiosity, where does the viola fit in the picture?

Posted by .

But back to Paddy Fahy. He was down as a teacher at Willie Clancy week (the first one in the list on the internet). So did anyone get to hear him then, or go to his workshops, or anything? I would love to hear.

Posted by .

Michael - I’ll trust the first part of your advice - Found Harmonium is out. I appreciate your faith in my tune smithing skills. In truth, My 3rd CD had one of my numbers on there. The 4th had two numbers. It’s not that I don’t conceive many tunes, It’s just that I think most of them suck. Only a few survivors make the CD cut.

Cheers!

Mark
It’s difficult to compare one’s own tunes with established tunes. The temptation is to be modest and dowgrade. But this is self defeating. An album of rehash will soon be forgotten after its first flush pf publicity, but an album of new tunes will always be there as referance. Even if only one tune out of thirty odd is a belter, I’d buy it for that one tune. Get some other musicians you like to tell you if your tunes are good or not, and trust them. Another good tip is not to produce the album yourself. Get a proffessional.

The Viola fits in between the strummer and the fiddles/flutes etc. There is usually a big tonal gap between the stummes and the tune players. The viola is ideal for bridging this space. Schubert did this best, listen to the viola his quartets

Posted .