Any Londoners free to play for the homeless on Tuesday?

Any Londoners free to play for the homeless on Tuesday?

Each year the London-based charity Crisis (http://www.crisis.org.uk) opens six shelters between 23th - 30th December offering homeless or vulnerably housed people companionship, access to essential services, learning opportunities and a programme of entertainment. As part of that programme we normally go along and play some Irish music.

The precise location of the shelters is confidential, but we’re looking for people who can play between 16:00 and 18:00 on Tuesday 27th in the City/Clerkenwell area - and optionally for a couple of hours a few miles east of that. We tend to travel between shelters on public transport, and may adjourn for a pint somewhere afterwards if there’s time.

So if anyone’s interested in coming along, please e-mail me via the link in my profile 🙂

Re: Any Londoners free to play for the homeless on Tuesday?

Not so sure as some of these homeless folk can be a bit contrary & tempremental and so are most trad musicians come to that sorry, I would kindly donate to a specific charity though 🙂

I can’t see how homeless people can be any more contrary than some of the people you encounter in bars, including musicians, and they’re probably more grateful.
And I understand that the volunteers that run the shelters are well used to handling these situations.
Any other dates you need musos for ? My SO and I have a panto booked for that date.

I’ll try to make it. I’m working in Clerkenwell on the 27th, but not sure what time I’ll get to clock out.

Posted by .

GP: We don’t have any other dates at the moment, but I’ll post them here if any come up. Thanks 🙂

Q: I reckon we’ll be in Clerkenwell/Farringdon c. 17:00, but if you e-mail me your mobile number I’ll text you on the day. You do know how to text don’t you Q? And how’s the liver? Maybe we’ll drop into the Bohola after the evening stint 🙂

Who wouldn’t feel ever so slightly contrairy if their previous night’s sleep had been disturbed by being in sub zero conditions?

Brian - bad spelling and bad grammar I can take. Bad attititude toward some of the poorest people in our country I cannot. That together with a whole load of other posts here that give me a bad online profile of you. I do not relish ever meeting with you. Long may our seperation last. Eternally hopefully. Don’t come near me with an email through this site, vomit is expensive to clean up.

Orson - this sounds good. Do my best. Busy fambly time of year though, as you know. Best of luck though.

Danny.

Actually I was was homeless years ago and the only help to me really was my own, living in an old car is not the best situation. I was working for a basic minimum wage but did not have enough cash up front for a deposit on a room, there are also the homeless that dont want the help I offered a homeless guy begging outside a McDonalds food instead of money once and he went ape at me I persued and purchased him a fillet of fish which he in turn threw at me which led me to believe he wanted the money for booze and not a cup of tea. That changed my view on a specific type of homeless person so being around them with valuables can be risky thats why I said I would donate money to www.crisis.org surely that dont make me a bad person the SVP & NSPCC recieve regular contributions from me throughout the year too.

Merry Xmas and a prosperous new year to you all.

OK, maybe my outburst was a bit hotheaded. We had a houseparty last night with endless wine etc. When I read someone knocking homeless people wholesale I just saw red.
As you no doubt know there are as many reasons that people are homeless as there are homeles people. One of those is mental illness, so someone already mentally ill AND homeless isn’t likely to be the most saintly of characters. Another is alcoholism, but that is often a symptom of a deeper malaise, maybe a personality disorder. Again, the lure of the drink can turn an otherwise decent person into a deceitful self-seeker. It’s always useful to clarify things when writing stuff on here or folk might end up with the wrong idea.

Brian - I’m sorry that your experience has led to such a negative view of *people* (after all, homeless people are just *people* without homes). Perhaps it is worth remembering that many of them are very much like you were when you were homeless. In fact, I was homeless between 3 and 6.30 this afternoon, when the eccentric artist I was staying with decided that he needed to be alone - until I remembered another acquaintance with some floor space.

No - it doesn’t make you a bad person. It just means you might be denying yourself a good experience.
I played at the shelter with the Carte family last Christmas, and the audience was one of the most appreciative I have ever played to. As for contrary and temperamental people, I have encountered plenty of them at paid gigs.

No its just I got annoyed with it all at the time my local M.P. local charity or council never wanted to help an inch and it was only until i scrimped and saved enough myself that i found real help I just hope these charity’s can twist the councils arm a little as its always the vicky pollard’s of society that get all the flats “they do exist” and handouts and not the single vulnerable man who too could do with a humble 1 bed high rise flat. Have a good day down there and fairplay to you for giving it some

Here, in Bristol, you can see as many “Vicky Pollards” (the real article) as you would want, on Friday and Saturday nights in town. I’m told that the tv character is based on the writers’ observations in Bristol, and that her voice is that rarity on the media - a genuine Bristol accent.

Trevor

When was a wee laddie in Glasgow many years ago, me and my pals used to think John Wayne was a really child-like name for such a big tough cowboy. “John Wayne! snigger! snigger!”

Thanks very much to Aidan, Blanche, Brian, Doily, Derry and Q. We had a great time. Some of the highlights:

* Q’s rendition of It’s A Long Way To Tipperary.
* Aidan singing Pack Up Your Troubles.
* Getting 15 minutes notice of playing miked-up on the main stage of the main shelter.
* Playing with dry ice rolling over the stage!
* Improvising a set out of what we all knew; then changing it onstage.
* Playing all the stuff we wouldn’t do even for money every other day of the year.
* One of the punters saying he could sing The Fields of Athenry; Doily inviting him onto the stage; waiting for the usual train wreck; hearing him hit the same key as Doily’s intro, pitch perfect, and do a really nice rendition 🙂

Sounds like things got more serious and professional after I left - why is that always the case? I feel like the 5th beatle.

Good fun it was; looking forward to next time 😀

Posted by .

It didn’t get more professional … we were bricking it at having to play in that environment, but it went o.k. Maybe next year we should all get those buskers’ gloves you mentioned 🙂

well done you lot god bless you for doing it in these cold conditions it takes nerves of steel and balls of brass to commit to that environment.