Info wanted about a fiddle maker

Info wanted about a fiddle maker

I’ve just got a new fiddle, and want to know more about its maker. All I know is that it was made in Somerset in 1992 by an old man called Bernard Godwin. If anyone knows anything more, please let me know. His fiddles were all handmade to order, and made in very small numbers.

Re: Info wanted about a fiddle maker

Eleanor, a Google search didn’t find anything about your Bernard Godwin, and I can’t say I’ve heard of him. There are, however, a couple of TheSession members here in the West Country who may have some info - "Milosdad" and "that would be an ecumenical matter".

Trevor

I would`nt be too disheartened,Eleanor,if you find out nothing as there have been many thousands of people all over the British Isles and Ireland who were handy woodworkers and who made 3 or 4 fiddles in an amateur capacity ,or as a retirement hobby.A lot of time,care and love probably went into the Godwin fiddle you have and it may sound as well as a 5 grand fiddle from a pro luthier.I have seen a handmade fiddle by John Goodwin of Belfast -1923,and it makes you think.Go to Somerset on holiday and ask a few people-you might meet his relations!

Posted by .

Dr. Mark Jeffares in Dublin is good for evaluation and makers; Cremona Violins is his business name.

Posted by .