abc fiddle / banjo / mandolin player

abc fiddle / banjo / mandolin player

I have created a vb windows based program which plays abc tunes (midi) on your pc while displaying the notes on the screen on a fiddle/banjo/mandolin fingerboard. It currently displays the full abc code for the selected tune and has options to select fiddle or banjo as the instrument sound, to vary the tempo, to select the number of replays and to select any abc tune file from your pc directory.
Before posting it to the www abc website for universal distribution, I am looking for 10, (or so), members of The Session who would like to "kick the tires" of my invention and provide me with some feedback, so that I can make the initial version as good as possible. Note that the setup.exe program is about 1.4 mb so it may take a while to download, if you don’t have high-speed internet access.
Obviously, I would prefer to have a cross section of musicians (i.e. fiddle/banjo/mandolin players), beginners/experts, teachers/ students) . If you are interested, please post a note to this discussion telling me what instrument you play, at what level, and why you feel a program of this type might be useful for you or someone you know. If you want to be considered to receive a trial version, you will need to include your email address so that I can send the program to you. When I have completed my selection, I will post a note to indicate that the offer is closed. But, if you are not selected, don’t dismay, the program will be made available to everyone, once I make any final fixes and easy-to- include enhancements!
Of course, everyone is welcome anytime to ask me questions about this program, and I will try to find the time to post replies.
Thanks and regards,
Mike (shanaway) Toronto, Canada

Re: abc fiddle / banjo / mandolin player

I’ll give it a go

I’m interested!
I play bouzouki and I think I’m a medium level player.
I’ve found those abc/midi programs very useful for making counter melodies and chord accompaniments to new tunes. (don’t have to break fiddlers nerves by saying: play 50 more times…)
So I guess I’d have a little different kind of approach to the subject.
(I also play banjo and mandolin, but zouk is my main intrument.)

Jani Suvanto

Posted by .

How about a mac version for us arty types?

Posted .

Among other instruments I play mandolin and octave mandola at medium level. I have no problam reading standard notation, but I’ve noticed that all tunes that I have problem to remember, are those I’ve learnt from sheet music.
So I think your program sounds interesting. I guess it works a little bit like TablEdit, but with the obvious advantage that it works with common ABC-files.
And as I’m always been interested in design and interface, I could probably give you some good feedback.
I won’t give you my e-mail adress here, but I’ll post it to you immediately.
lars

Posted by .

Email address

Since spammers are always prowling sites like this one looking for email addresses, it’s probably not a good idea to put your email address in a discussion. You can send it to shanaway in a private email by clicking on his handle ("shanaway", in red, at the end of his post). Then, when his member information comes up, click on "Send an email".

hi- i got your email and would love to help. i’m a intermediate/advanced fiddle player. this program would be useful for people because if they don’t know how to read abc’s, then they could look at the music, and #2, as they use the site more, and more often, then they could catch on to how to red abcs. Great idea!!

Thanx for you email Mike. Sounds good to me. I’m an Intermediate fiddler, and all help/tips/tools always appreciated. Sounds a great way to practise learning by ear, rather than having to decipher ABC into "real" music first. I’ll send you an email so you have my addy.

I’ll give it I try I’m always looking for new programs to try out. I play the banjo.

I also teach banjo to young kids at my home.

Thanks for your e-mail. I was interested as soon as I saw your posting, but concerned about my Internet speed (26,400 bps as I write). Count me in.

My husband plays mandolin and tenor mandola, and I’m intermediate fiddle. We’d both be very interested and willing to try it out. It’s a great idea!

I’d love to try it out - I play tenor banjo and think it sounds a great idea

Posted by .