Flute Summit in West Cork April 20th-22nd 2006

Flute Summit in West Cork April 20th-22nd 2006

This in from Hammy Hamilton. Looks really really good.

—————————————————————————
Cruinniú Na bhFliúit..The Flute Meeting

Announcing a 3 day event celebrating the wooden flute and it’s music. Running from April 20th-22nd 2006, in the West Cork villages of Baile Bhuirne and Cúil Aodha it will consist of focussed classes, seminars, recitals, film, lectures, and ending with a gala flute concert on Sat. 22nd. Featuring Jean Michel Veillon, Harry Bradley, Paul McGrattan, Hammy
Hamilton, Conal O Grada, Harry Bradshaw, and more to be confirmed. We hope to have a website up and running shortly, but I’d ask anyone interested to mail me directly for the moment, and I’ll send the full program and booking form in an E-Mail circular, in the first week of January. In order to maintain a high level of accessability between participants and teachers/lecturers numbers will be restricted.

All the Best
Hammy Hamilton
Hammy Hamilton, Cúil Aodha, Macroom, Co. Cork, Ireland.
Ph. 353 (0)26 45209 Fax 353 (0) 26 45578
E-Mail hammy@eircom.net

Re: Flute Summit in West Cork April 20th-22nd 2006

ooooooooh!

Posted by .

mmmmm!

And other such alphabetic signifiers.
Sounds phenomenal, and I hope it goes ahead, but unless I win the lottery, I can’t see myself there. Hard times as ever. Best of luck for it. Not a whinge or start of an argument, just an observation, but I sometimes see the flute getting a bit of a Cinderella treatment at sessions (often by half-baked fiddle players and such). despite the fact that the flute isyet there is, in my view, no more powerful sound at a session than a flitch of fluters rolling from one reel to the next….so it’s good to the guys standing up and being counted.

Sorry I literally slipped whilst typing and sent off an unfinished post. Meant to include: "Despite the fact that the flute sound is central to the overall sound of Irish music,"

I keep hearing about this but I know that I will not go for pthe same reason as Danny. I really think most of us Flute players are being heavily out numbered by Fiddles and Boxes, plus it seems like none of my fellow younger players play Flute most play Fiddle. I think that Flute adds a sould to the music because without Flute you just have a force.

Posted by .

ah yes.
Ensemble flute music can be quite righteous.
And yes all that stuff that DM said is true. But not just in ITM.
The fluter is often in a very Rodney Dangerfield role.
I really think it has to do with a little thing called volume more often than not.

I saw details of this a few days ago I’ve emailed Hammy for details and to express my interest in going, no idea what it’ll cost yet but I really want to go! Dear mr bank manager….. :-)

Posted by .

Well I don’t know. I’ve just sold my B/C box yesterday - I’ve really enjoyed playing the whistles over the last year - picked up the flute couple of months ago and starting to make sense of it now. Funny thing is that as I learnt more about the feel of the music, I became more dissatisfied with the mechanical nature of the box. So people do move the other way.

Posted .

Delighted to hear about The Flute Summit, I will more than likely be there. Being a Flute player from Donegal, we only have fiddle festivals and it’s great to see the flute being recognised more as a leading instrument. I do though have to say that in any of the sessions here, i don’t have any problems being heard on my flute. I do feel that it has a lot to do with the individual player and the flute being played. Sometimes I feel that I am the ne drowning out other musicians. Looking forward to my trip to Cork.

At my Session they tell me that they can barley hear me when we are all palying. We have recorded the last two and from what I have heard the Flute is heard a lot better. Ti me it always sounds like I am drowning the others out but I never am.

Posted by .