How long have you had to stop playing ITM due to Injury?

How long have you had to stop playing ITM due to Injury?

I’m sure there are people worse off then me but I was just wondering how long you’ve had to stop playing music due to an injury?

I’ve pulled a muscle in my neck and am itching to get started again but my mum and dad are warning me that if I pick up my fiddle then I’ll have to go back to school……..

So how long have you had to stop playing for and why?

Cheers,

sam

Re: How long have you had to stop playing ITM due to Injury?

What is ITM?

I lost about 9months of 1999 to repetitive stress injury in my hands (I play concertina). It was hard, as that year was the one time I got to go to Ireland, and at Willie Week I just got to watch (the pints tasted just as good though). I manage it carefully now with help from a P.T., the Doctor, teachers, etc.

Don’t wish it on anyone, but I’d rather play sore than not play at all, to paraphrase Pete Seeger.

Posted by .

Most of 2000 due to a spine injury.
5 days last year when they took part of my stomach out - but as soon as I could get out of the ward into the corridor I got Mrs Dave to bring my spare mandolin in. The left hand bit isn’t easy with a drip in.

ITM = "Irish Traditional Music". There’s been some debate here about the usefulness of the term. But I guess otherwise we’d have to call it the music formerly known as ITM or somesuch. A.k.a. The Music, Diddly, that ould diddly Sh*t*, etc.

About 3-4 months in 2004 due to a neck/spinal problem. Still have to be careful not to do too much.

About 6 weeks when the trap door to the cellar of the pub I was working in fell on my hand - however, the compensation from the brewery paid for oour first PA system!!

About six months due to RSI. Though to be honest I’d have probably cared more about not being able to work at all, as most of the stuff I know how to do involves typing, mousing, etc.

And three months due to cutting through one of the tendons in my left thumb with a Stanley knife (aka boxcutter). Blunt knives are more dangerous than sharp ones, as they say. Yeah, I should have gone to A&E rather than just stick a plaster on it, but I had a house to rewire before selling it. Stupid is as stupid does. Luckily I don’t need to get out of first position on the fiddle playing whatever we’re calling The Music today.

Had to stop playing for a couple of months due to a broken collarbone. All in all it worked out ok, because that two months broke my classical piano habit as well.

Had to stop once for a couple weeks due to RSI. Got obsessively hooked on a tune I wasn’t physically ready for and practiced it for several hours straight. That learned me a bit. Moderation in all things, even obssession.

Sam, sounds like a good time to learn how to play gamba style to me, but I can’t help you with that school thing.

KFG

Posted by .

Broke my thumb, after a week the swelling went down enough that I could drop the fiddle neck neck down between the cast and that part of my hand. It was still a couple of months after the cast came off before I could do the harp. It’s been 23 years and I still can’t play theGHB ( a lot of people are real happy about that)

A combination of RSI. bad posture and arthritis (yes, even at my age) led to a pinched nerve that made it impossible for me to play fiddle for about three months. Physical therapy and some knowledge of proper posture has pretty much cured me, I pray. I spent an hour almost every evening soaking in a hot tub. Read a lot of good soggy books and picked up a fair amount of tinwhistle (acoustics are great in there).

I had a really bad case of RSI and chronic inflammation. Both wrists were involved and I was out of commission for several years. The recovery was long and slow. After about four years, I started relearning the fiddle and guitar, but there were ups and downs and it was another ten years before I was able to make barre chords again. Another five years later, I’m doing fairly well. In retrospect, I believe if I had found the right professional help in the beginning, my recovery would have been much quicker.

This is an extreme and uncommon case, but I offer it as a cautionary tale. If you have any kind of strain injury, take it seriously. You’ll probably get better within a few weeks or months, but there’s no guarantee. Get help from an expert in RSI and don’t listen to anyone who tells you to “just play through the pain”. That could aggravate the condition and potentially cause permanent damage. Look for a physician with experience in treating RSI in musicians and athletes.

If you have to give up playing music for a while, don’t let it get you down. Find something else to engage your time and energy. I moped and ruminated and felt sorry for myself and got badly depressed. It doesn’t help.

Giving up playing doesn’t have to mean giving up music. It’s a great opportunity to work on ear training and sight singing.

KFG

Posted by .

True, Kevin. If it was’na for the singing, I might not’ve born it.

Personally, I think everyone should sing. Besides how good it feels, it’s good for your musicianship.

Well, I was once very hurt when a young irishwoman told me that I wasn’t playing an O’Carolan tune right on my guitar, but I didn’t let it stop me.
The guitarist in my band twisted his back moving a sofa. Didn’t let it stop him playing, but the rest of us had to shift the pa without him for about three months.
And when some young dastard broke our whistle-players’ heart, I managed to persuade her to come out and gig rather than sit at home mopeing.
Seriously, there are some people that swear by Alexander Technique for helping posture and tension problems that can lead to RSI, although I haven’t tried it myself.

All of 2002, due to multiple problems in the left hand. I had a few months of PT, which helped immensely — but not as instantaneously as I would have liked. My problem was a combination of tendonitis and some arthritis due in part to old hand injuries (jammed and broken bones, etc).

I would rather have not gone through it, but I came out of it with, among other things, some good hand warmup exercises I try to do whenever I’m preparing to play.

If you play an instrument that requires potentially strenuous hand movements (and that would include most, wouldn’t it?), you need to take care of the hands as an athlete would. A year is WAY too long to go without playing.

Posted by .

More than a year, after severely cutting the tip of my third finger, left hand.
Quite temporarily, when my three musician room-mates helped me move a piano down three flights of cramped stairway and we all suffered twists and strains. There’s a lesson there, but I’m still not sure what it is.