Sydney siders.

Sydney siders.

Hey guys.
Wanting to start a thursday night session in sydney and looking for expressions of interest. I figure there’s no point sussing out a venue if no one is up for it. So if you’re in this part of the world let me know if you’d be interested.
Cheers,
Ben McAtamney.

Re: Sydney siders.

Sydney needs all the sessions it can get at the moment. I’m sure people would be up for tunes, but have you found somewhere? Where on earth have you managed to find? If you manage to organise something, contact Mort and he will send out a group e-mail to everyone letting them know it’s happening and giving details of venue/time/etc.

I agree with Dow, the more sessions the better. Although having said that Dow and I ran a session on a thursday night and I hate to say it - people are dead lazy in Sydney and it didnt last long. Was it 3 or 4 months Dow? The one in Surrey Hills?

Posted by .

Re: Sydney siders. slow session??

Would there be a market for a slow session? maybe post a tune for the next week’s session (preferably a tune played regularly at the Durty Nelly’s session) on the board here. give people who haven’t played in a session before a chance to learn it. then maybe spend the first 1/2 hour running through the tune of the week slowly. as a near-total beginner (10 3/4-speed jigs under by belt), i’d be pretty intimidated about rocking up to a session with an instrument. but a slow session, followed by a regular session for the more accomplished players, might draw some learners along to boost numbers and interest??

Posted by .

Re: Sydney siders.slow session??

following on from slow session suggestion…if that wasn’t a runner, what about a monthly tune workshop? post 3 or 4 tunes for people to work on on a forum…get together..work through the tunes and have a few pints :)

Posted by .

Ah ha Ben. Good to see you got home again, safe & sound.

I’m glad to see you are moving & shaking things at home.

Good luck with your Thursday night session idea.

I started that Springhill session you came to, about 7 years ago &, as you saw, it’s still going strong, although it does make you think, when you look back & realise you have been sitting in there, every Thursday night for the past 7 years!!

It’s not all a bed of roses though as others I have started haven’t lasted quite so long.

However, another success was that Central Bar session you played, cause that was started by me, about 8 years ago, & was initially designed as an easy going session for learners.
My older students came regularly to get a taste of playing out, and as you saw, the Central has now become a regular session pub.

So good luck with your new session & please keep us posted on it’s success.

hey, what’s mort’s contact details? I see him at the Harp sessions some sundays but never get around to asking him to put me on his email distro list.
thx
Andrew

Hi All,

Havibng just moved to Sydney, and having just started to learn the Mandolin/ITM may I add my support to the idea of a session (or part of the same) for newbies?

Seán

Havibng? Good God. My fingers are drunk and it’s barely 9 on a Monday morning. How did that happen?

Ben are you Benno the flute and guitar player I met in Miltown?

Hi late-in-the-evening, I used to go sometimes to the Thurs night session beebs mentions.

One problem (apart from public transport to my area being not-so-good at night) was that Thurs for some working folk is the only chance to do any shopping given that Sat and Sun are sometimes full-up with other things. It seemed to rely on bb and Dow to prop it up week after week. I’d be interested but attendance would depend on where and what time. The old Thurs one never really got going till after 9pm, for all bb would be there 7.30-ish, and with work the next day and a 90 min trip home, I could never hang around. I’m very much still into listening rather than playing, though, so take my take on it FWIW.

Bosco, I’d be interested in your suggestion but again, viability for me depends on where and when.

Posted by .

Unlurk

I have had a thought that might be good for both regular and slow sessions.

The Bush Music Club has a hut in the cultural centre in the old army base at Marrickville. I think I heard that they were worried about losing it because of underuse. They use it about once a week and it would probably be available at all other times.

Advantages… it is available, lots of parking, don’t know how far from the rail. A slow session is better witha venue that is not public.

Disadvantages… not licenced, a little rough…

Anyway, its a suggestion…

Posted by .

Lots of parking sounds good to me!

Posted by .

Really… what does lots of parking sound like? Maybe like Dow playing hornpipes on his brit-box? :-D

It *doesn’t* sound like the inside of two late night buses interpersed with periods of traffic noise as experienced from the footpath.

(I actually don’t mind the sound of Dow playing hornpipes on his brit-box. So There.)

Posted by .

Hahahahaha So THAT"S what Dow sounds like eh? …. hmmm. :-/

Eh?

Posted by .

"A slow session is better with a venue that is not public."

Cag, I think ‘no audience’ misses the point!

I ran an easy going ‘slow’ session in a local Bar here, for a few years & the big attraction for the learners was the very chance to get out there & play, like the ‘pros’, in front of an audience, but in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere where they weren’t competing with speed merchants & show offs.

It worked really well.

did anything happen with the idea of a "slow session" in sydney?
I’m new to this site and Ive been playing guitar for a while but not really any trad stuff.
I’m giving it a bash these days and would be interested in a "slow session" ,if the idea being that a person would be able to feel their way into it and not worry about ruining the buzz for the pros! Or indeed practice some pre-agreed tunes at home first.

Posted by .

Marrickville is reachable for me, but a Pub with No Beer? I think I know a tune about that…

Maybe a central location would be better to maximize our chances of getting a decent crowd.

I’m still interested if this gets going.

S

I’m interested depending on where and when. I’m out Macquarie Uni way so central-ish sounds OK to me … but my impression is that interested parties tend to be from the south or inner west.

Posted by .

what about the Gaelic club. bb tells me they used to be amenable to a session upstairs there? very close to rail/bus

Posted by .

I would also be very interested in this, i’m in Milperra & Baulkham hills depending on what day of the week it is!

I play fiddle, I know quite a few tunes…

have only just arrived in australia and would really like to get playing some sessions again (audience or no audience).

The Penrith Gaels Club ( outskirts of sydney) is reachable from Baulkham Hills. On the 1st Thursday of the month there’s an irish trad session, jigs and reels mostly. If thats your thing turn up at 7:30 and join in. No money no sound system, just sit around in our own area and play till our little hearts are content.

Christy

s_t_harvey - there is a regualar session on at Durty Nellys on a Sunday afternoon from 2pm…is that right Dow? Its worth checking out some nice musicians there.

Posted by .

Opps - durty nellys is in Paddington - very close to the city.

Posted by .

Thanks for that, wil try and make it there next w/e

email Dow through the sesison and let him know that youre coming -just so you know someone….I’m not there obivously - still in Newfoundland.

Posted by .

Thanks bb… have done that. Might go along to the Harp this week because it’s a bit easier to get to.

I dont even know if the harp is still on - better ask Dow again, its on again off again - last time I heard it wasnt on…..

Posted by .

Oh - cool ! Hi Ian, Its bridie - I’m just a bit out of the loop at the moment cause I’m in canada! Back in Australia in April.

Posted by .

g’day bridie, looking forward to some catching up!

"See you round like a rissole", as Aunty Jack would say.

Thanks for the advice… it was Dow who put me onto the Harp so I’m guessing it’s still on… I think he said he was there last week.

Yep - but its not really as poxy as those photos look. You can’t appreciate the whole experience until you’re sitting between 5 smokers and there’s beer dripping off the table onto your feet.
Nice to see their shiny %@#% pokies are featured so prominently on the website. They seem to be the inevitable accompaniment to any Sydney pub session.

OK, So I’m really only a baby at ITM and I’m looking for both teachers and sessions. I live out at Macquarie Uni and I’m really at a loss where to find all this music. It would be nice to have a begginners session somewhere on a regular basis and have a few tunes each week to rehearse. I have another friend who may also be interested in starting up a begginners session. If anyone has any idea where I can start the help would be much appreciated. BTW I’m looking for a mandolin, guitar (DADGAD) and whistle teacher if anyone knows of any.

has anyone tried a session in the hero of waterloo pub? Looks like a good venue.

Why not try The Mean Fiddler ?

Posted by .

I did go to the mean fiddler last week. Plenty nice group of people but a few to many songs and not enough tunes. however I will go again just to see if it was a one off. It was also semi open mic so there was even less trad stuff.

yep Sunday at the Mean Fiddler is more of an Irish sing-a-long / come-all-ye, so depending on how many musos or singers turn up there may be more tunes on one night than another.

however there is a trad uplugged mainly tunes session there upstairs in the old rooms on a Tuesday evening starting approx 8pm. definately mainly tunes.

hopefully see you there sometime, the more the merrier.

Beginners: check out a new group that meets Wednesday nights at Paddington. About to wind up for this year, but having a Martin Hayes masterclass (open to everyone) on January 16, 2007 and starting workshops again in Feb.
www.myspace.com/southerncrossfiddlers

Posted by .

Just a short update. Management at the Mean Fiddler has decided to get rid of the Sunday come-all-ye (replaced with Irish bands) and moved the "sing-along" to every Wednesday at 7.30pm (instead of the trad session). There will be tunes but mainly songs depending on who turns up, and it is amplified.