phonetic pronunciation of Ceana?

phonetic pronunciation of Ceana?

A friend of Irish ancestry, with an Irish last name, Tobin, has just become a father for the first time. They (mom & dad) decided to name their daughter "Ceana", a purportedly Gaelic name that they found on the internet. However, their Irish roots are not recent enough or deep enough to know how to pronounce the name…………..

In honor of the occasion, I will compose a Jig, to be titled "Ceana’s Jig".

What is the correct pronunciation of "Ceana"? Phonetic spelling would be helpful. Thank you.

I kinda expect some good natured slagging here over picking out a name with unknown pronunciation….(I had a chuckle over this myself)…….I promise to pass it on to the dad……. ;-)

Best always,
Tom

Re: phonetic pronunciation of Ceana?

k-yan-ah.

Posted by .

Thank you, Blas!

Is the "yan" pronounced like "an" or like "on"?

I presume the ah is pronounced "uh". Correct?

That’s the thing about having sproglets, people think that because they’re clever enough to be able to make their own human being, they can do what they want to it, even give the poor bairn a name nobody can pronounce, so it has to go through life being asked time and time again, "how do you pronounce that?" or people trying and getting it wildly wrong. You’ve gotta feel sorry for all concerned, especially the parents for being so lacking in common sense and foresight.

Thanks doo!

‘doo?’
Here in München we pronounce Dow ‘Dov’

I quite like having a name that nobody (outside Ireland) can get. Makes for some great conversations. My sister, Ríona, on the other hand, gets a little irritated by it, especially given that even Irish people get it wrong.

Niamh

yan is pronounced like `an` and the `ah` is like a long phonetic aah, if you get my gist.
Is your alphabet pronounced differently from our`s?
Taking into account your accent, lets say that it is spoken like this: k-yah-nah.
Is that any better cecilguitar?

Posted by .

Sorry did`nt realize you were american.
If you think along the lines of a german name than the yan is spoken like their version of Jan with the first consonant ( the j )
sounding like a y.

Posted by .

No no no. It’s pronounced see ANN uh. The “c” is pronounced like an “s” - like in “celtic”.

In my neck of the woods its pronounced see- anna without any major emphasis on any part of the name.

And I saw a version on the internet that pronounced it Keh-nah… and I thought that ‘celtic’ was only pronounced with an ‘s’ when referring to the Boston basketball team …

I b’leeve that was tongue in cheek, musicfan.

Jerk the string, set the hook. Gotcha, musicfan. Hee hee. ;-)

oops, sorry … that is one of my pet peeves though … I hate the Boston Celtics because of how they pronounce their name… so I was trying to find out if people actually pronounce Celtic/s with an s … oh well, I believe I was hooked … I’ll make it up to you fidkid. ;-)

Hate to break it to you lads, but after working through the medium of Irish now for nearly 10 years, I am pretty certain that there is no precedence for pronouncing a c as an s.
The phonetics of the alphabet in ngaeilge does not allow it.
Emphasis any part of it you want, but it still starts with a k sound.

Posted by .

(except in Glasgow)

Posted .

Round Manchester back in the seventies, the great collector’s work was univerversally referred to as Key’ole Rinse, by Brendan Breathsnatch.

And Glasgow has of course always been "Seltic". I tend to use the soft-s word to refer to the floaty middle-of-the-road stuff that you get on mood-music CDs.

Yip. Works for me.

Posted by .

Thank you, all, for your responses.

PARENTS, DOW, SHOULD THINK ABOUT THE SURNAME THEY ARE STICKING THEIR KIDS WITH AS WELL! How selfish to have sex w/someone knowing a kid could result and be tortured especially when working in the media and their name is used millions of time over a lifetime as ‘sh*t’ weis sh*t ‘. The name is WEISS HEIGHT!!!! As far as ‘people clever enough’ DOW, PEOPLE DON’T MAKE A CHILD, THE CREATOR DOES! Biggest misnomer out here, and quite disgustingly pretentious of people to think. PEOPLE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. SEX ACTS OCCUR WITH NO CHILD RESULTING.

Irish who made names purposely to be difficult to pronounce is neither cute nor funny. Only childish and irritating.

Pronunciation of that name will vary widely depending on the language of the person trying to pronounce it. To begin with just one issue, the combination ‘ea’ in English is commonly pronounced ‘ee’ as in ‘dean’ for example - maybe it wasn’t historically, but it is now, much to the frustration of speakers of European, and many other languages. So many English speakers could even tend to pronounce that name something like Seena or Keena.

Wendy, I think you will have a difficult job trying to convince people of your views if you predicate your argument on something that a good proportion of people don’t accept anyway - rightly or wrongly. Your view is a fundamentalist one (rightly or wrongly), which perhaps even moderately religious people who might also hold evolutionised views may not agree with.

Irish names, or English names for that matter, would not be that difficult for Irish speakers to pronounce I would have thought, although the converse might not necessarily be the case.

…the next pronunciation issue will be what syllable to put the stress on, correct me if I am wrong, some languages will put it on the first, others on the second, still others perhaps on the third, so it could be anywhere in the range: KEE/na; KEE/schwa/na; SEE/na; SEE/schwa/na; KeeAHna, SeeAHna, KeeANNa, SeeANNa, to name a few.
Oh, then there’s the spelling.

I wouldn’t normally comment on a thread this old but, seeing as it has revived a bit, according to my neice, Orla, who knows a bit about this stuff:

The meaning of the name Ceana is God Is Gracious

The origin of the name Ceana is American

Alternate spealling of SEANA.

Also a contraction of OCEANA, meaning ocean.

Also a Scottish Gaelic name (pronounced kenna) meaning ‘fair’.

My niece is called Ceana and we pronounce it C-anna

Yeah, I know I’m late to the party, but I thought I’d add my 2 cents since MY daughter is named "Ceana." Her full name is Ceana Paisley. We are both from California. We pronounce her name "See-Aw-nuh," though a few of our family members continue to wrongly pronounce it "See-Ann-uh."

When we researched the name, the baby name site we went to said it was Scottish in origin and that it meant "God is gracious." It didn’t say how to pronounce it. We figured the "Ce" part should be pronounced "see" and the "ana" part should be pronounced the way a friend of ours who is named "Ana" pronounces her name, "Awna." Ce+ana. She is now 11 and though she does have to explain how to pronounce her name, she doesn’t seem to be scarred for life, nor does she seem to have any desire to change her name.

My daughter who is 4 is also called Ceana pronouced See- Anna. I feel in love with spelling of the name as soon as I saw it in baby names book I initially pronounced it the same way I do today, however I did research it online and with friends and family in Ireland to check the pronunciation. Most agreed with the way I have chosen to pronounce it. We are from England.

On travelling taround Ireland when my daughter was 1 we did come across a place in County Meath called Ceanannus Mor asking the locals the pronunication it was Ke-An-Nus. I still take preference to the way in which I pronounce my daughters name! I am also constantly told what a beautiful name she has and thats its unusual but pretty and not unpronouncable!

Her middle name is Niamh! A couple of people unfamiliar with Irish spellings have called it weird but to me its perfectly normal having grown up with Irish family friends and going through catholic education.

I love unusual Celtic names and would happily give them to any other children I may have! How anyone can compare a beautiful name like Ceana or Niamh to the ridiculous monikers bestows upon some of todays children is beyond me!

My name is Leah that in itself is or was 30 years ago quite unheard of I loved the fact that I wasn’t another Sarah, Rachel, Emma… its nice to be somewhat unique!

I am highly angered at the people who pronounce Ceana Seeana. My name is Ceana. I pronounce it like Kenna. What people do not realize is that every language isn’t American English. For example, Latin, the stem language of English, has no soft c. Any c that you see while reading Latin will be pronounced as a k. The Celtic people (Celtic is pronounced keltick.) made the name Ceana and said it as kenna. I have no intention of being arrogant, but I know what Iam talking about. I know the history of my own name, and I feel other Ceanas who pronounce their names seeana should too. I love the name I have. Fidkid- I read your comments. They really made me think that you have no considderation for historic names, people, or languages. I really think you should have given your statement more thought. Do you realize that you have insulted me, as well as my ancestors, the Celts?

Posted by .

Hee hee, you’re so precious, Ceana.

Glaswegian football fans have no trouble with using a soft "c" in the word "Celtic." Are they insulting their very own "Celtic" heritage? LOL!

Be thankful this thread doesn’t concern the almost universally mispronounced name "Caitlín".