whistles, whistles, who’s got the whistles?

whistles, whistles, who’s got the whistles?

i’m looking for a decent C whistle. (decent as in: good and not much more than $30 or so.)
do they follow the same kind of guidelines (as far as quality) as D whistles, for the most part?
i hear some people talking about how they love their (whatever brand) C, but don’t like the D…
so.
tell me everything!
thanks.

Re: whistles, whistles, who’s got the whistles?

Around $30 I would say your best bet is a Dixon or a Susato. Whichever one you prefer, personally I would choose the Dixon.

Posted by .

You should be able to buy a set of Bb, C and D bodies with interchangeable head Susato for that amount. I am personally very partial to the sound of the Bb body on the sustato which is truly delicious.

You should also consider a set of Erle Bartlett’s Syn whistles - I got a Bb, C, D and Eb bodies with interchangeable head for AUS$40 including the p&p. Great value for money - they are made from aluminium and have a brass tuning slide - and are truly tuneable. email Erle at synwhistles@yahoo.com.au

Yes, Erle makes very good Whistles, and the C is usually considered the best of the Syns, I just forgot how much they cost so I didn’t mention them. I used to have aSyn set (all 8 keys) my favorite was the Bnat, Eb, or Enat depending on my mood, I traded them for a Water Weasel Eb. I play a Black Diamond High D usually and I choose it over a Sindt, but some times I go for the Sindt D. Now the best C Whsitle ever is a Sindt C, it might be the best Whistle in general.

Posted by .

"the C is usually considered the best…"

That’s not what I’ve seen. In fact, I’ve only seen you say the C is the best. For my money the B is the best, something I’ve heard other people say.

Anyway, you can ask over at chiffboard.mati.ca. As somebody mentioned in an earlier thread, there are a lot of whistle geeks there, so you’ll get a good answer. (Or at least a lot of answers)

In general, you can’t go wrong with a cheapie. Good bang for the buck!

Posted by .

Actually if you look a any thread concerning C whsitles or Syns on C&F that is what pops up that the Syn C is the "best," I prefered the Bnat and I think Dale Wisely said he did also which is the only other place I have seen someone say that.

Posted by .

A cheap option is the Waltons C, which I have found excellent.

Generation Cs are hard to adjust for tuning without breaking the headpiece.

Clarke or Shaws. Be brave, turn your back on these brass and plastic pretenders, and play a REAL tin whistle! 😉

Isn’t a Clarke Tin Whistle far too soft & quiet for session playing Al?

Ptarmigan,
If I wanted to stand out from the crowd, I wouldn’t be part of a musical tradition where everyone plays in unison! Besides, I think that being an octave above the throng makes every whistle plenty loud enough, especially when there is more than one present. Clarke whistles are cheap enough to be replaced easily, and in my experience are comfortably similar from whistle to whistle. The conical bore gives you a nice chiffy sound, so you don’t sound like a tiny flute or fife, and allows you to move from octave to octave quite easily. And finally, playing a Clarke frees you from the mundane concern of tuning your instrument.
😉

No Al, all I meant was it is important to at least be able to hear yourself while playing, rather than trying to drown everyone else out.

I think there is nothing more frustrating than playing in a loud, noisy session & not being able to hear your own instrument.
Is there any point in that?

I’ve been in sessions, years ago with a cheap, quiet Mandolin, when I could not hear any of my notes & just had to give up!

I agree that the sound of a Clark Whistle is hard to beat & I too love that soft breathy sound, but if I were a Whistle player, I think I would arm myself with a number of Whistles so that I was ready, & prepared, for any environment, however hostile!

Who plays a C whistle at a session? Ok the only time I have was during a song or the tune "The Girl that Broke My Heart."

Posted by .

ptarmagin,
Now that I have pulled your leg a little, I do admit that Clarke is on the softer side, and in a busy pub, can get lost. 😉

With pipers, on the C whistles.

But I’ve never actually used one in a session yet. I usually just fluff the Fs. My whistles are mainly used for learning tunes from CD’s on long car trips, so having one in each common key is more important than having a holy grail.

C whistles have their uses ‘worm’.

A Piper friend of mine has slightly shortened a standard C Whistle so that in a session, he can pass it to a Whistle player when he whips out his C# Pipes!

Must be fun though, learning new tunes on your whistle, while driving for long distances! I take it you steer with your knees?

Worm, my comment was in regard to someone saying that a Clarke was too quiet for a session. I really need an A or E whistle or Flute/Fife, but I got other stuff on my plate.

Posted by .

I realy like my Clark but I had to seal the mouthpiece with wax before I could play it without running out of breath.

I love my clarke and discovered it by accident really when i hadnt a clue, before that i just had a cheapie Waltons one. I’m looking into buyind a low D s chieftan or kerry at the moment. Its a great thing about the whistle, they’re cheap enough, your can never have enough and there small to not matter how many you have they dont take up any room.

Sweet tone c is pretty nice. Very smooth, not shrill, inexpensive, colorful.