Where are you all from ?

Where are you all from ?

Hi guys, I just hit on this site recently. What’s the craic ? I’m from Derry originally but have been living in Clearwater, Florida for the past three years.

Re: Where are you all from ?

All 23,000 of us? We’re from the 3rd planet out from the sun.

You are Gary? Well my wife is from the 2nd rock, she tells that I’m from the 3rd rock, and that my friends are from the 7th rock. I wouldn’t know about the other 22,999 of you 🙂. To answer strafoyle’s question, I always thought I was from Lancashire via Belfast and Ardglass, though I am currently beached about 30 miles west of Boston.
Liam
ps Gary, how is the tune identification survey coming along?

We are from Poland. Not everyone though, mind you.

We are from here.

Cheers Liam. Florida seems to be a “no go” area for musicians. Trade you some sunshine for a few 🙂

Strathfoyle

Welcome to the Session. Nice to have you along.

I live in Macclesfield, Cheshire, with my wife and son and various animals - if you want more detail there’s plenty in my bio.

Please forgive the flippant nature of most of the replies you have received so far - some of our members really do take a joke too far and it takes someone like me - renowned for my sensible straight answers - to call them to order.

Now, you lot - everyone be nice to Strathfoyle and speak very politely to her.

I’m thick skinned showaddy. These threads make me feel at home. Thanks for standing up for me 🙂

How specific do you want to be?

Like we used to put on our schoolbooks as kids: I’m from Oadby, once a village but now absorbed into the conurbation of the city of Leicester. It is in the parliamentary constituency of Harborough in the county of Leicestershire in central England, United Kingdom, part of the British Isles lying off the north west coast of Europe, in the northern hemisphere of the 3rd planet from the sun, somewhere in the Milky Way galaxy…

But I’m originally from London.

Just watch, strathfoyle, just watch.

I’m treading lightly for now showaddy. Wait ’til I get my foot in the door 🙂

The Netherlands, aka Holland.

Fairfield,Connecticut .

A riverbank 93,000,000 from the sun, but quite close to the rain.

93,000,000 miles that is (We haven’t gone metric here yet)

Hey Strathfoyle,
There ARE some top notch Irish Musicians Living in Florida! Fiddle Player Roisin Dillon of Cherish The Ladies and Her brother Eamonn Dillon a Brilliant Uilleann Piper!.

Posted by .

Middlesbrough. Centre of the erm……
Blues skies (but not in MBro!)
Ged

County Antrim, Ireland

Posted by .

I’m about 25 miles east of billiamconkey [see second reply to this thread].

Posted by .

Beyond the black stump, outback Central Australia.

Norman, Oklahoma. (Almost smack-dab in the middle of the US)

Are we not all from Poland then? Oh…

Strathfoyle. Fairplay to you for not expecting a civil answer to your civil question. LA hasn’t knocked the irony out you then. You’re very welcome, I think you’ll find this is a cracking site, & healthy slaggings aside an incredible resource for the music.

Ghent, Flanders

Rhode Island, USA.

Ptarmigan - you creep!

I guess if everyone answers this could go for the longest thread.

But some people only look and never add anything.

There’s Mr Haynes at 23250 - never said a word.

Showaddydadito you say the nicest things - but not to me!

Hello Ghent Flanders - please say hello to Ned for me!

The Sunny South East of the ‘Old Sod’

Posted .

A small community in the winery and gold mining area of North Georgia, USA. Southern end of the Blueridge Mountains. I’ll trade six mostly house-broken bluegrass players for three ITM-ers. Any takers?

just a Little north of you on I -75
Atlanta
guess that is the sunny south east of the “new sod” ?

Ptarmigan……thanks for the welcome and yes, this site seems to be a great resource. Interesting profile…..as they say down my way “you’re not bird mouthed” 🙂 You seem to be having a ball in N. Antrim. I met Ciaran Kelly years ago at sessions in Portstewart ans Portrush, in my Uni. years. “The Golden Years” in my book. That place rocked with fine musicians back then. Seamus Quinn, Gary Hastings, Gaby Mc Ardle, Ciaran Curran, Maire and Tarlach Connoly, Gerry Lappin…….I could go on and on.

I used to know a fine 5 string banjo player from Edinburgh, first name was Ian, I forget his surname, met him through a good friend from Glasgow, box player Lawrence Mc Elhinney who by the way, used to play quite a lot across in Edinburgh.

I forgot to mention Marcas O’ Murchu. If he reads this and doesn’t see his name mentioned, he’d be hopping mad 🙂 Only kidding Marcas 🙂

Fascinating Strathfoyle.

First of all, if you would like to contact Ciaran again, e-Mail me & I’ll pass on his address. I’m sure he would enjoy hearing from you.

He, & many others, have indeed often waxed lyrical about those golden years around The Harbour Bar in Portrush especially.

Sadly Seamus Quinn isn’t playing much this weather due to a hand/finger problem. We are all praying it is a short term problem!

I see Gaby McArdle each year, down in Derrygonnelly, at the brilliant wee festival they have there each autumn - he’s just another Fermanagh treasure!

That Banjo player your talking about is Iain Carmichael & he now lives over here too, down near Belfast. He’s married to a great musician & brilliant set dance tutor, Mary Fox - a woman who is incapable of getting tired!

As for Lawrence McElhinney, he used to play regularly with Stevie Campbell but Stevie moved back to Donegal a few years ago & is playing great stuff these days. The guys, plus Cathal McConnell actually did a night at my Folk Club in Portstewart, a few years back.

Naw, yer right, guess I’m certainly nothing like ‘bird mouthed’!

By the way, Ciaran Kelly plays up here with me every 2nd Friday night. He never lost it & is one cracking Box player & a lovely Guitar player too.
So if your ever over this way, you’ll need to call in!

Marcas - “hopping mad” - Naw, he’s mellowed! 🙂

Funny, I was speaking to Marcas just last week.
He lives up in Derry now, got married a while back & has a beautiful daughter now.

Those little uns mellow us all!

P.S. I should just point out that the famous Harbour Bar in Portrush is now a Wine Bar & hasn’t seen a session for many years! There’ll be no more Golden Years for it!

Hey, here’s another thought, just popped into my head!

Has your new home-town got anything to do with that wonderful band - ‘Creedence Clearwater Revival’?

I had a gut feeling Ian’s surname was Carmichael but was fearful of looking silly, pass my regards on if you ever bump into him.

I’ll definitely email you re: Ciaran and the others. Just one final question…..you know of Tom Mc Gonigle, concertina player ? He’s originally from Newcastle, Co.Down but the last I heard of him he was living in Belfast.

CCR were founded by guys from California. The Clearwater was a popular 60’s / 70’s beer. Imagine that musicians and alcohol 🙂 tut tut !

Sorry to hear about the Harbour. Is the Anchor in Portstewart still going ?

Tom’s son is also a great concertina player. Last time I saw him he was living in Oxford. I believe Tom is still in Belfast.

Yes Tom is indeed an excellent Concertina player.
He taught a workshop for me a few years back, in Ballycastle.
Has a son who is going to be as good a player, or perhaps an even better Concertina player.
Still lives in Belfast, I believe.

Mind you, there are loads of others, actual Norners, on this Mustard page who know all those mentioned above far better than I, so perhaps I should twitter off & let some of them fill in the gaps!

Any more talk of home & you’ll be pining for those Glens of Antrim Fjords!

“Is the Anchor in Portstewart still going?”

Still there OK, but only if you are into Rock, Pop, noisy crowds … & drink!

Good luck Ptarmigan. Catch up with you later mate. The Glens ? Nah, all that rain and cold. Happy here for now 🙂

Welcome, Strathfoyle. Have you checked out the “Sessions” section yet? This new one appears to be in your neighborhood.

https://thesession.org/sessions/1249

There’s also a certain fiddler named James Kelly who lives in Florida, but he’s way over near Miami.

http://www.jameskellymusic.com/JK_Contact.html

Amazing, this world wide web thingy. I’m typing this in the far NW corner of the U.S., thousands of miles from you

Make that “contiguous”–aka Lower 48 (states) U.S.

back to the topic -
I’m from Austria, used to live in Vienna but now I’m stuck in a small town in Lower Austria

(I hope you know what I’m talking about - met some french guys last year who didn’t even have clue what Austria was… there are peculiar people..)

Thanks Mickray for the welcome. I came across the Tampa session link last night but thanks again for the thought. Yea, the “web” and sites like this are truly a wonderful resource. I’ll check out the James Kelly site in detail later.

How’s the playing coming along ? Keep bowing !

“met some french guys last year who didn’t even have clue what Austria was… there are peculiar people..)”

O.K. Mairie, please put us out of our misery!
Go on, tell us, what is this Austria thing, of which you speak? 🙂

To go back to the original question………( which we’ve had before, I remember )…..you’ld never guess.
But my So is from LI, NY, US of A, as they say over there.

A part of Surrey thats not actually Surrey anymore

Hey, we’ll have to keep an eye on this dude, dudes - he’s at 52 already & this is only his first thread!

Now, back to the original question…………………………( which we’ve had before, & before, I remember, again ) …..I did guess!

Rhode ISland over here. Wheeeeee, forse Boston l’anno prossimo?! Spero.

Cheers,
Armand

Miramichi (Mir mush eee), New Brunswick ,Canada

if I didn’t know you’re pulling me leg…
why, just in case:
remember Europe? now visualise a map of it - one of the biger states is France, another one is Germany. The little tiny one lying between Germany and Italy is …. ta-taaa: Austria !!!!
Its capital is Vienna (also known as the city of Mozart, Sissi and Joerg Haider); its neighbour states apart from Germany (Berlin) and Italy (Rome) are: the Czech Republic (Prague), Slovakia (Bratislava), Hungary (Budapest), Slovenia (Ljubiljana), Liechtenstein (Vaduz) and Switzerland (Berne).
Foreign people like to think of Austrians as lederhoes-wearing, mozartkugels-and-dumplings-eating, skiing classical musicians with at least 6 siblings (see the Trapp family)…you know, every Irishman has red hair and is a born music genius…
THIS is “the Austria thing” which I speak of!

Wow! what a terrific description Mairie.

I could almost smell the lederhoes - frfrfrfrfrfrf……!

You must surely be a Geography teacher or a TV presenter?

ha ha ha …. a good one…
but thanx, I’m glad you like it
🙂

actually geography is not my cup of tea - but I’m pretty sure you could give me a detailed info about eire as well, couldn’t you?

and as for the lederhoses - I don’t know anyone (personally) who wears them!!!!!

Chicago, IL

Texas - a grand ol’ state really, even if my college is seriously lacking in anything other than classical musicians and pop/rock band wannabees…

OK, now it’s clear to me what Austria is, but what’s a ‘Mozart’?
Actually, my ancestors were Austrian, I spent my first few years in Regina, Saskatchewan, grew up (to some extent) in Vancouver, B.C., spent two years wandering aimlessly in Europe, fifteen years in London, and am now back in Vancouver.

mairie, I think you forgot to mention beerdrinking activities……….

Land of snow and more bloody snow. Oh, how I long for spring!

S

Frigging New Jersey. You got a problem with that?

Posted by .

“Oh, how I long for spring!”

Ya shoulda been in Georgia today. We hit 68F (20C) with lots of sunshine.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
(mon rrray al) get that r rolling 🙂

MaINE“-you can’t get there from hea“

Nah, come on down to Texas we hit 83F (27C) today. Of course it’s gonna be a lot cooler tomorrow.

83? Now that’s going a bit too far in February.

Tell me about it - I turned on the a/c today.

meh, it’s just Texas

Nawth Cairlahnuh… y’awll…

The far-flung colony of the great Irish Diaspora, Aotearoa-New Zealand.

Born in Dunedin (settled by Scots after Maori had been there for hundreds of years), then moved to Christchurch (settled by Poms after Maori had been there for hundreds of years) - but of Irish descent…

Almost as far from Ireland as you could get… and still be habitable.

Well, actually it hit 42 Celcius here today, that’s about 104 Farenheit! We decided not to make compulsory sport compulsory this afternoon! Just about to cool down under the air con, long cool drink and watching the winter olympics. We aren’t the hottest place in Oz, but we’re consistently the hottest that makes it onto the national weather forecasts on the TV.

Living in London, originally from the mouth of the Farsett (Béal Feirste / Belfast)

Born in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, brought up in Yorkshire, been in London for the last couple of decades, but may continue the southward migration some day, who knows.

Go north Gillard, go back north.

I’ve heard the Isle of Wight is quite nice in the Spring…

Where are the world football championships going to be held this year? Some matches not far from here: Dortmund,Gelsenkirchen… (Hope to miss the devastating side-effects).

Posted by .

I’m originally from Newfoundland but have crisscrossed this great country so much that you might say I’m from Canada in general. I currently hang my hat In Sudbury Ontario and have managed to stay put for almost ten years now, a first for me.

i’m very new to the site, thank god i’ve finally ound it though, people kept telling me, but only just got the net again.
i’m from AUSTRALIA, on the border of NSW and VIC.

Wolverhampton UK-the Black Country
I’m the only fiddler in the village

That you just outing yourself timjellies?

Thuin, Belgium, land of (good) beer and chocolate.

Really Mairie - that is bizarre that french people didnt know where Austria is - Ive been there 3 times. I love it there - beautiful buildings etc. I wouldnt of thought it would be unknown not like somewhere small like Liechtenstein - which ive also been too🙂

Currently living in Newfoundland with my fiance who is from the Bay area around here - we are in St. John’s but moving back to my home town Sydney Australia in 6 weeks.

Minus 18deg C windchill today - sigh - winter in Sydney is like 20degs C - big change and lots of iciles and snow…..brrr

Posted by .

Good old Liechtenstein. Aye, nice buildings too but they have a lousy Navy!

I didnt think that Leichtenstein had very nice buildings - lots of 70’s stuff - I like the castle on the hill though🙂

Posted by .

Brosna, in the county of Kerry, in the province of Munster, in the island of Ireland …

Ahhhhhh Kerry, the noble land of Polkas & Slides.

Jonathan, you lucky, lucky man!
Anytime you fancy a house swop, let me know.
It’s always cold, wet & miserable up here on the North Coast, you know!

Working and living in Athlone now for my sins, the miserable grey capital of ireland, where ITM is frowned upon and fighting is the way!!!!

If you want none cold and rainPtarmigan - maybe you should do a house swap with someone in Oz! Maybe old Scrapper in the desert🙂

Posted by .

Now be honest bb.

How many Polka playing Roos have you come across?
It wasn’t the heat I was most interested in, it was the wall to wall Polkas & Slides at their sessions down there, that interested me most!

Athlone eh Jonathan? Sorry to hear that! 🙂

Oh - I just assumed you meant the weather - when it was weather versus pokas and slides…..🙂

Posted by .

Father from Yorkshire (Hartlepool), but I was born and raised in Argentina. Moved to Los Angeles area of California for 23 years, where the seed of ITM was planted by a Chieftains concert. Have been in Santa Maria, Santa Barbara County for the last 22 years, playing at a great session in the San Luis Obispo area (for 9 years). Temps? You can get it both ways here … 84F last week, freeze warnings this week, and sunshine while it’s raining!

oldstrings -
Mozart: Wolfgang Amadeus Theophilus Gottlieb Mozart - this year would’ve been his 250th bday! he was a composer (classic music), born in Salzburg (Austria) but lived and died in Vienna…here you are:

http://www.mozart2006.net/eng/index.html

and what about beerdrinking…? the Bavarians are the beer drinking ones…apart from the Irish of course 😉
the Austrians are more the vine drinking ones .. ever heard of “Heurigen”? old vine cellares in which we use to drink till we’re all drunk… well, they but of course not ME…

bb -
YES, it is bizarre…but, hey, let’s not show off with our knowledge… 🙂
where exactly have you been to in Austria? Vienna I guess…?

Ptmargian -
spring in Austria… depends… usuall they do have snow in Salzburg, Tyrol and Carinthia… Vienna is snow-less most time of the year. but if you want to experience a real “springy” Austrian Spring - come to Lower Austria! beautiful landscape…

lederhoses: I sure am not a good help concerning them… I know what they look like but I’ve never weared any (of course not - they’re men’s stuff)

but check out in the www if you really need some 🙂

Of course, if the ‘Wind-up Hopping Lederhosen’ are too cheerful for you, bring yourself back down to Earth with this little passion killer, the ever popular:

‘Death Clock’

Guaranteed to prevent time-wasting.

Don’t let the grim reaper catch you napping.
Or playing Solitaire.
This CD-ROM assesses your lifestyle with a Death Clock Questionnaire and then calculates how long you have to go before you turn up your toes.
It then installs a screensaver on your computer that counts down the seconds until the date of your demise.
Useful for knowing when to book the funeral etc.

Or, just make sure you learn the last part of that six part reel before you snuff it!

http://www.gizmoandwidget.com/acatalog/Gizmo_and_Widget_The_Weirder_Side_of_Widget_4.html

Vienna twice and Innsbruck - beautiful place. I loved vienna too - it was mid winter when I was there the second time - I thought I was going to die - but I’m used to it now being in Newfoundland🙂

This is a true email received by the olympic committee with regards to when the Sydney olympics where being held.

A man from America wrote in that while he was in town (Sydney) he’d love to catch the Vienna boys choir in concert……

When I was in Innsbruck I picked up some funny postcards with our Kangaroo roads side signs on it (warning of kangaroos that could be on the road etc) that said “There are no Kangaroos in Austria” - I thought that was hilarious!

Posted by .

Wrong again bb - there are Kangaroos in Austria, at:

SCHOENBRUNN ZOO - THE WORLD’S OLDEST ZOO - CELEBRATED ITS 250TH ANNIVERSARY IN 2002 (4 years older than Mozart!)

http://www.zoovienna.at/

🙂

Beebs, the Vienna Boys’ Choir were actually visiting Oz when WW2 broke out, and they stayed for the duration, but I think it was in Melbourne.

Since when was Hartlepool ever in Yorkshire?

Hey Conan, there’s - nowt wrang wi’ the gid folk frae the ‘Blue Toon’!

Although, there are a few residents of Peterhead Prison who, some say, perhaps should be hung, but let’s not get into that.

Incidentally, doesn’t MAJOR DODD, THE PRISON’S FIRST GOVERNOR, look a bit like your good self?

http://www.peterhead.org.uk/history/ph_major_dodd_retiral.htm

Nothing personal. :¬)
By the way, Major Dodd probably had a fine head of hair. I’m sure he wouldn’t be pleased with the comparison.

Conán

haha - this is so weird
it’s amazing what kinda stuff they sell around…
is the one on the 2nd picture, the one wearing the lederhoses, YOU?? hehe…
but seriously, lederhoses don’t have anything to do with ITM, do they?

yeah, i know those “no kangaroos in Austria” cards. they also sell t-shirts, shorts, cups, … anything with this saying printed on it.
aaand, Ptarmigan, sorry to disappoint you but there are NO kangaroos in Schönbrunn! but that zoo really is amazing tho - I loved to be there when I was a child….*reminisces*

bb - what I would like to know is, what exactly attracts tourists to Vienna/Austria? is it that whole emporer-Habsburger thing? the Lippizaner? the buildings? museums? the Fiaker (cabs)? what?

Mairie,
I was there in Vienna for the 400th year celebrations of the Spanish Riding School, 1972. The Lippizaners and the palace are well worth the visit. Still hum the march they performed to. They brought in some mares and foals from their mountain home and free schooled them round a stadhalla somewhere in Vienna. And the Cadre Noir (the French school) was there performing too. Horses and music - Awesome! And we went to ‘La Traviata’ at the opera …… *reminisces* Coffee somewhere with an American tourist we picked up. The winding journey that led to Ireland and ITM, sigh …………

Yeah - its the buildings and stuff - so old and beatiful - the summer palace was great - tho me and my friend (who is half austrian) got stuck in a white out snow storm in the gardens and couldnt find our way to the actual palace for about 2 hours. That was an experience!

I loved the underground pubs that are built in old bomb shelters and I loved the food and the big beers. Cool! I also thought it was interesting that dogs are almost treated as humans there. Very different from Australia. Plus I thought the people were great and I liked the fact that you could go skiing and stop into a pub on the way down the hill for some Gluhwein - so funny - the hills in Oz last about oh say - 5 minutes - I was on a beginner baby hill just outside vienna and it was like 40 mins from top to bottom and had two pubs on the way…..thank god!

Posted by .

“…is the one on the 2nd picture, the one wearing the lederhoses, YOU?” Well, my granny always said Mairie, if you got it, flaunt it, so yeah, what do you think?

But I have to admit, it is an old photo - I don’t have quite so much hair these days!

“lederhoses don’t have anything to do with ITM, do they?” - You have obviously never been to Miltown in July? It’s everywhere you look, in evidence in most sessions, the older musicians are especially fond of wearing it. It used to be dark suits for them, back in the 70s, but no more!

what do I think? what am I supposed to think, hm?
well, just in case: fits you well 😉

no, never been to miltown anyway.
still, can’t imagine serious musicians wearing these lederhoses-stuff at a session. doesn’t fit together if you ask me…

I’m from Argentina

Boston