Catskills Irish Arts Week

Catskills Irish Arts Week

Time has a way of moving very slowly in the ould hamlet of East Durham in Upstate New York but it is just five months before the 12th Annual Catskills Irish Arts Week. Registration is going to open on March 1 but the webpage (www.east-durham.org) has been updated to list the teachers and some venerable special guests from Ireland like Peter Horan, Josephine Keegan and Seamus Fay. We have some potentially great CD launch nights on tap for this year and some new teachers to add to our always stellar crew.
Some more tweaking to be done yet on the webpage and staffing but you have the guts of it.
Paul Keating/Artiistic Director

Re: Catskills Irish Arts Week

Peter Horan! That’s almost a good enough reason to go back right there… it really is a shame that admissions can’t be better regulated so that relative newbies can’t slow join the master classes…

Peter Horan is more than enough reason to cancel anything else you were planning to do and go there. (Indeed, that’s my yesterday morning in a nutshell — canceling the very cool thing I had been planning for that week so I can go study with Peter.)

I’m glad to hear classes aren’t regulated — if it’s anything like the Peter Horan master classes I’ve seen before, newvbies will not slow things down much. And this way I won’t have to argue that I should be in the flute masterclass despite my relative lack of flute-playing skills. (You see, I’m pretty sure I do solidly belong in a South Sligo tunes masterclass, which is what I’m pretty sure it effectively will be.)

In the past, at least, the Master Classes are one session during the week. You would attend a regular (leveled) class for most days, then hit the master class on the last day. It’s not a matter of noob’s slowing things down. I was in the Joe Derrane MC last year. Nobody had a chance to slow anything down. You either kept up or you didn’t but the class didn’t slow. And yet, all left happy and content.

Mark

Well last year I flew out of the sligo flute masterclass with Kevin Henry only to find that the level of musicianship was anything but masterful and much of the week was wasted on alot of ignorance and questions like "what is a slide and how fast do I play it?" (bear in mind that Kevin is from Sligo not Kerry).

Anyways, I hope you’re right but if it like any of the master classes that I’ve seen and attended I may just keep my tuition money.

Delighted to see such a great gang again this year.. Can’t wait to go back.. fantastic week.

Great. Get me all worked up when its still 5 months away. Now I’m going to be antsy. If only the website had their pictures section up, even the ones from 2004 would be nice to help with my jonesing.