How does she do it?

How does she do it?

Liz Carroll was just on NPR, did any one else hear it? She was describing different kinds of triplets, with or without gratch, and doing examples. She talked about playing in sessions, and what it was like to hear her own tunes.

It was grand; and she has a great accent.

Re: How does she do it?

Thanks for the link! I think she’s saying "scrunch."

Incidentally, the tune Liz uses to demonstrate the triplets is Paddy’s Trip to Scotland: https://thesession.org/tunes/1303

Posted .

e m, gratch is how you say graunch in a Vermont accent

will, thanks for tune name

"gratch is how you say graunch in a Vermont accent"

- with nasal congestion.

we all have nasal congestion due to the cold wet lack of adequate snow here

Here’s what I wrote to All Things Considered, wonder if they’ll air it?

Liz Carroll was exceedingly polite, perhaps too much so, to Ms. Block during her interview regarding her Irish fiddle playing. In traditional Irish music, SONGS have words & TUNES are what are played in Irish sessions. Every time Melissa Block queried her about composing or playing ‘songs,’ every trad musician in the audience was cringing internally & begging Ms. Carroll to make the correction! Ah, fair play to you, Liz, for taking the high road, as always!

I’ve been on Car Talk, Talk of the Nation, the Diane Rehm Show & some local call-ins… who knows? hee hee…. 🙂

Oh man — I wanna here the Car Talk show you were on, Em… do they have it archived anywhere?

Hmmm I’d never looked before, Jack, but I’m pretty sure it was December 2001. It looks like you have to pay to subscribe to a service called Audible…. Shameless commerce! ;)

What do you think about my comment? I probably should have slept more before sending it, but heck, that’s when I pull off a lot of my best stunts, under complete sleep deprivation.

The person reading your email will scratch their head and then go on to the next one. In America every music selection is a "song." I have loads of fun with new students over this. They’ll ask me about the "song" and I’ll tell them I can’t help them until they sing it to me. Sometimes their eyes glaze over… other times they want to break their flute over my head. This might explain why I’m not swamped with students actually.

my radar was turned off, i didn’t even catch the "song" offense, I was too riveted by Liz. but, emily-az, if something grabs you, i think you are right to say it.

(Typical. Complain about what something is called, not what it is.)

I just listened to this programme and I found it lovely and cheerey. The only thing that made me feel a bit sad was her having to get a new fiddle because her old one wasn’t loud enough. Like there is a volume arms race that every one is powerless to ignore. Still, she doesn’t care about such trifles. She just gets on with it. She is the tops and of that there is no doubt.

My favourite bit was the image of little old her, sat in the corner of the session and all the "serious" faces blasting through one of her "songs" and her with a wee smug grin of satisfaction. What a lovely image

Posted .