Solo Fiddle Recordings?

Solo Fiddle Recordings?

I’m looking for some solo fiddle recordings. I have Sam Amidon’s cd in this respect (which I love) and am aware of Matt Cranitch’s solo recordings of airs (which I intend to order from Ossian USA).
I also have Jame Kelly’s solo cd, which I like very much.

But I’m wondering if there are any other recordings like these out there. Thanks!

Jeff Zajac

Re: Solo Fiddle Recordings?

You mean unaccompanied solo fiddle?

yup.

There’s a three volume set of fiddle music from Donegal (I think it’s called, you guessed it, The Fiddle Music of Donegal) that’s completely unaccompanied. If memory serves, Patrick Kelly of Cree (West Clare) is unaccompanied. If Cape Breton music counts, Jerry Holland has one - I think it’s the one called Crystal Clear. It’s been awhile since I listened to them, but I seem to recall that Johnny Doherty’s recordings are solo. And Kevin Crehan’s.

You might also try a search of the archives, as this came up a year or so ago.

The Liffey Banks, Tommy Potts.

You must get Kevin Burke "If the cap fits". Not all solo, but a few tracks are. The first track is especially good

Posted .

Dennis Murphy and Julia Clifford:’the star above the garter’.

i think the ‘an fidíl’ recordings are unaccompanied as well- sean keane/kevin burke/seamus creagh as far as i remember.

"Glackin" by Paddy Glackin. Mostly solo.

Don’t forget Brian Conway’s First Through the Gate and Kevin Crehan’s cd, but you may have trouble finding that one.

I have the Matt Cranitch cd of slow airs which I like very much, but there is some piano on it which I find is a little distracting.

Posted by .

Kevin Burke - In Concert
Sean Keane - Gusty’ s Frolics

Gael Linn’s Setting Sail, 78s of Denis Murphy and Paddy Canny.
An Fidil is long out of print - they have Paddy and Kevin Glackin, Martin Hayes, Maurice Lennon, Sean Keane, as well as those mentioned.

There is a Tommy Peoples instructional cassette where he plays once or twice through a bunch of tunes, sometimes with guitar accompaniment and sometimes without, but the neat thing about this, for both guitarists and fiddlers, is that the fiddle is on one channel of the sterio, and the guitar is on the other, so you can eliminate either instrument by turning the balance one way or the other. I can’t recall the name of the package (it included a booklet with written music) at the moment - I picked it up about 6 or 8 years ago.

PS I think the name of the Tommy Peoples package was something like "50 Irish Fiddle Tunes"

Speaking of Tommy Peoples, I notice he’s giving - free workshops and a concert at this years ‘Liverpool Irish Festival’, in October, in association with the music organisation MZONE.

"Irish Fiddle Solos (64 Pieces for Violin)" by Pete Cooper, a cd accompanying the instructional book of the same name. The tunes are performed as sets. Mr Cooper takes his examples from the many Irish regional styles.
The book has some very useful information about dance tune structures, bowing, ornamentation, mode, key signatures, and chords. Each tune in the book is shown with suggested bowing, ornaments and chords. Look out for the half a dozen or so little gems that use the famous "trick" notes (a c-nat or f-nat sharpened by 1/4 of a tone). Mr Cooper uses a special notation for these notes.
Published by Schott (ED 12734) ISMN M-2201-2233-0. Should be obtainable in good folk music shops.

Look for Malachy Burke, "Draw the Bow". Really nice album, no strummin’!

Posted by .

Boston College Fiddle Festival- "My Love is in America".
Mixed sets and solos by 16 of the greatest ever, recorded live with just Bodhran played by Mel Mercier. It features several regional styles.

Posted by .

The Tommy Peoples package is indeed "50 Irish Fiddle Tunes". It is published by Waltons (latest edition 2003, so it should be easily available).

Book alone
Order No. wm1370
ISBN 1 85720 149 3

Book with CD
Order No. wm1370CD
ISBN 1 85720 150 7

The CD alone is called "fiddler’s fancy", and the order no. is wm1341. The accompanist is Manus Lunny, on guitar or bouzouki.

A reservation: I suspect there is a small number of transcription/type setting errors in the printed dots, so if something sounds not quite right - and doesn’t correspond to what is being played on the CD - then there may well be a mistake, usually nothing more than one note out of place, fortunately.

hello

I also often like to hear just solo fiddle, but some of the CDs I could recommend are: "Selkie" by Mick Conneely, he plays quite a few tracks solo or just accompanied by his dad(also on fiddle ) there is some cracking playing on there and the accompaniment does not fog the rest of it. Also Andy McGann with Paul Brady, I think its called"It’s a hard road to follow" it has just about the sexiest version of The Gold Ring and Monaghans; also Kathleen Collins, "Traditional Music of Ireland", which, despite the sometimes strident piano accompaniment,has some of the sweetest fiddle playing you could ever set your ears on; have a listen to the "Humours of Ballyloughlin" Incidentally, these 3 also make it onto my Desert Island Discs, or music I could not live without!!