Joe McKenna’s whistle riddle…

Joe McKenna’s whistle riddle…

…to me, a riddle that is.

I’ve decided not to post it in the Tunes section coments, since it is a rather general question I think.

https://thesession.org/recordings/121

The Irish Low Whistle record, who have heard it, 6th track contains 2 tunes which I was trying to play myself. Needless to say it’s a wonderful performance that I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to reach its level though I am still trying… so:

the riddle is, the second tune - Tommy Peoples’, is played on a D scaled whislte, or so I think - but then the first tune is played on a totally different scaled whistle - are these two different recordings? Or is this the same whistle - a strange one to me, because it goes far beyond the 2 octave frame.

the second question…
About the first tune - Eileen Curran, I presumed it was not a D scaled whistle, and I tried to transpose the scale down to my Low D so I’ll be able to play it. The 3rd note that I get to play is C. Now C is a tricky note on the D whistle at least to me, since you can’t do a whole much with it like with other notes (physical limitation) - but McKenna manages to play it as if it’s any other whistle ‘hole’.
So I started wondering, is he really playing it that way, and if it really is possible to just scale down this tune and fit it in the 2 octaves of my Low D.

Just seems like impossible to me ;/
I might be missing something…

Thanks,
Philip

Posted by .

Re: Joe McKenna’s whistle riddle…

I presume no one has heard the record?

Posted by .

I own that CD, I’ll have a listen when I get home and post my findings tomorrow.

Sounds like just a regular high D whistle to me on both tunes. Nothing too special about it.