pip pop pickerty pop pickey pip pop pippy, pip pop pickerty … etc

pip pop pickerty pop pickey pip pop pippy, pip pop pickerty … etc

Any one old enough to remember an old quiz show on UK telly called "face the music"? It was quite a high brow classical music thing. They had this round where the quiz master, an accomplished pianist, had this dummy keyboard thing that was like a full set of piano keys but no mechanism or strings etc. It just made a kind of clacherty noise. Each week the quiz master would play a famous piano piece on it and the contestants had to guess what it was.

Posted .

Re: pip pop pickerty pop pickey pip pop pippy, pip pop pickerty … etc

The fellow was called Joseph Cooper and he also played a piece in the style of a composer for the panel to guess the composer.

I remember him giving a concert at our school and somewhere I have a music book with his autograph in it.
( I think he didn’t bring the dummy keyboard with him though)

J

I can remember "Name that tune" with Tom O’Connor but your programme doesn’t sound quite as "downmarket". ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yup, remember it well. Used to watch that.

Interesting note: when Joseph Cooper played the dummy keyboard, he had headphones on.

The keyboard was genuinely as michael describes it, and JC was not simply playing a keyboard through headphones with no sound for the listeners, but he played the dummy keyboard along to a recording of the piece he was playing.

I find it interesting that he still needed to "hear what he was playing" - even though what he was hearing was not actually being generated by him.

John - crossposted - I suspect that Name that Tune was an ITV thing - so we wouldn’t have watched that anyway, because my father was a snob. In our house, if anyone had watched ITV, the set was always put back to BBC before it was switched off.

Oddly, the habit lingers now, I often find myself with the remote switching back to BBC before switching off.

Ciaran Carson suggests there’s a word in Irish for "the wake of a boat on the ebb tide." Is "clacherty" Irish/English for the noise of a dummy keyboard?

They just don’t make game shows like they used to…

Posted by .

I recognize the title of this thread. It’s Chopin’s Minute Waltz. Am I right?

No, it’s his Quite Large Waltz.
An easy mistake, c

Posted by .

And there was the "My Music" radio quiz in which Steve Race tapped out the rhythm on a cigar box and the contestants had to guess what piece it was.

Dammit. I always do that.

I’m not sure good old David Cooper actually needed the recording in the headphones, I think that was just so that after half a minute or so, the audience at home was given the answer as the headphone channel was cross faded with the clatter.

But how would you like Mr David Cooper to come along to your session and play along with your tunes?

Posted .

I KNEW Michael had an ulterior motive.

Posted by .

i can name that tune in 1 note.

ray

There’s even a picture of Hughie Green in the page.
Thanks for spoiling my night. ๐Ÿ™

๐Ÿ™‚

& he means that most sincerely folks! ….. Boom Boom!

OK MG, but I wonder how many ‘Pop Pickers’ out there remember sitting down on a Saturday night, back in ‘59, to watch Juke Box Jury:
http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/tv/variety/jukeboxjury.htm

I fondly remember the Nairobi Trio. It was the Ernie Kovacs show. It is indelibly etched in my mind, the monkey with the bananna was keeping time to the music by doing an up/down/sideways thing with the bananna, only to have it break in two and fall to the floor.

For those of you who don’t know Ernie Kovacs, he was married to Marilyn Monroe for a stint.