What are the best things about this forum?

What are the best things about this forum?

I was having a discussion with someone last night about the best Irish Trad Forum on the net.
When I had to sit and think about it, it occurred to me that this site and one other (dont know if I can mention it here, so I wont) are the only sites I would use.
The reason I use them is because they are interesting and have the info I’m after.
When asked which I would choose between The Session and the rival, I said this site, because of the Craic and the people.
What do you think is the best aspect of this Forum and why?

Posted by .

Re: What are the best things about this forum?

I can sit here and chat to Blas instead of doing work.

Seriously tho’ what I like about it is that it never, ever stagnates.

See what I mean Conán. Its not something that I ever really sat down and thought about before. I havent seen you in I dont know how long with you having done the whole emmigration thingy, yet I can always come on this forum and have a chat with you.
Oh and there are loads of characters, like yourself.

Posted by .

:)

That’s the first time anyone’s described me as a "character". Does that mean I can get away with all kinds of reprehensible behaviour now?

What I also like about the site is that there is a truly international membership and almost all of them are good people.

Apart from Michael Gill

I’ve been lurking for a long time (though I just became a member a few days ago) and found that this forum is loaded with knowledgeable, helpful people. Beyond that, people here are tolerant and well-mannered. I haven’t seen any signs of the mean-spiritedness that can occasionally be found in internet forums.

Oh,oh, Conan; harsh words, hurt feelings, this one might end in tears. Hope MG is too busy to look…..

!@@#%#@#^%@ How’s that?!

Posted by .

Two things; the way it varies from totally useful information ( tunes and technical, and techniqual, advice ) to absolutely irrelevant, and irreverant, humour.
And the camaraderie.
Three things; the information, the humour, and the camaraderie.
And the internationalism.
Four things; the ……

For me it’s the smell. Yeah, definitely the smell. This is the best smelling
forum on the net. Sniiiiiiiiiffff!! Hmmm.. love it!

Posted by .

In addition to the lovely, exemplary human units feeding electrons to it, and the smell, I’d include the uncomplicated format and the stimulating condiment-oriented color scheme.:-)

Posted by .

you can sit here winding people up so you can see what makes them tick, and by gosh its true what they say about these musician types they are an opinionated temper-a-mental little lot especially

ptarmigan
bb
guernsey pete

"I haven’t seen any signs of the mean-spiritedness that can occasionally be found in internet forums. "

That’s because you weren’t around when myself and Dow used to have mock slagging fests about our personal concertina system preferences. I’m not sure why we stopped… it was either because we got bored and ran out of ways to slag each other… or just ran out of ideas perhaps. The problem was; some people didn’t realize we were just having fun and weren’t at all serious about the whole thing. (How could you be?) Sometimes it was funny though when someone did think we were serious because they would start defending one side or the other in ernest… until they also realized we were just taking the mick.

But, aside from the fun that’s had, every now and then people here do try to post useful information — and suceed. Sometimes we stumble onto great controversies that can take up to 400 or so replies before we realize we’ll never all agree. My advice is to avoid any thread that passes 100 replies.

The best things are the tunes and recordings section. Some people have taken the time to make comments on tunes and there’s a whole load of useful info to be soaked up there. The worst thing is the discussion section, which used to be good, but nowadays it seems to attract people with too much time on their hands who are only interested in bolstering their own massive egos by belittling and insulting others.

No but seriously, apart from the Craic, the Cameraderie, the fact that people here are tolerant and well-mannered & do try to post useful information plus the fact that it never, ever stagnates & there are loads of characters -

- WHAT HAS THESESSION.ORG EVER DONE FOR US?

:-D

Aaaaaaah MacThewife, I love it when you talk doity ………………..
lubba-lubba-lubba-lubba - I think I’m in LUV! :-D

I like the (mostly) friendly atmosphere. Plus, most of us now our sh*t, so if anyone needs advice, they will get it here.

Posted by .

know not now.

Posted by .

Yeah unseen, that’s it in a nutshell - the atmosphere!

I find the atmosphere on some of the other boards I visit to be a bit austere, cold & perhaps a little unfriendly & I can only put that down to the fact that there’s far less craic on other boards. This may be due to them perhaps having a higher percentage of tight ar*ed characters who come across as being too full of their own importance, which doesn’t half create a different ‘smell’!

On this mustard board most folk seem to be healthily aware that we each know some of the answers, but that there are loads of other folk here who know at least as much as each of us & usually more & thank goodness most folk can take a joke & fire it back, with interest!

On this board there is a healthy mix of information & friendly banter & slagging.
The only time the atmos goes sour really is when some posters start taking themselves too seriously or when some ‘freak show weirdo’ gets past security & starts upsetting the apple-cart, but thankfully uncle Jeremy soon sorts them out.

The best thing about this forum is perhaps the fact that it even exists in the first place & that Jeremy has the time, energy & inclination to keep it policed & keep it going - after that, everything else is just gravy!

The best of the gravy, for me, has to be the Tune section, followed by the Recordings, but I would surely miss all the craic here, if the discussion board ever closed down!

Jayzus, Dick, why’d you have to go and get all serious? ;-)

That craic I keep reading about here - that refers to condiments, right? Mustard in particular?

Sorry Button, I’m just not feeling myself today! ;-)

I would like to say that I am not opinionated ( IMNSHO ), nor am I pedantic, I am merely precise and accurate, that’s unless I am sloppy and lugubrious, in which case I’ll eat it over the sink.

WHAT HAS THIS FORUM EVER DONE FOR US ?

Well, it’s made me waste half a forest on printing out tunes I want to learn, just for a starter.
Then, it’s renewed my acquaintance with a couple of people I used to know 20 + years ago, and one I met last month…..
And it’s given me a place to tell old tales I should have relegated to the dustbin years ago….

Oldstrings don’t worry; I’m sure Michael knows I’m only trying to wind him up

i love it how a "What are the best things about this forum?" descussion has begun a couple of days after i got here
…awww guys are you tryna tell me something (rite now id do a little wink…except i dont no how soo…can we pretend its there ;)

"Atmosphere", Unseen? Is that a fancy word for "smell"?

It might be.

I forgot to comment on the tune section. It is great, there are loads of tunes on it. Also, once a player gets to the learn hard tunes by ear stage, they can post them.

Recordings ain’t that bad either.

Although the Sessions section is probably the most useful. how many times have you gone away and looked there to see if you can get some tunes in? BTW, I will be in the Memphis, TN area in early April, if anyone wants to get some tunes in, send me an email. I couldn’t find anything in that section.

Posted by .

That’s probably that some folks inform what’s going on in Belfast, which I’m going to visit and stay in a few days. I might not see you, Blas, but if you see an Asian flute/whistle guy next Wednesday and Saturday, it’s me!

And cheers Conan and Sam, for providing the session info in London tomorrow. I’ll definitely see you in the Porterhouse on 26th.

Very little pretentiousness here I think compared to some other forums. People being their usual friendly selves :-)

Posted by .

Re: What is the best things about this forum?

Without a doubt, the colour.

Re: What is the best things about this forum?

Sorry - I meant to delete that ‘s’ from ‘things’ in the heading. The worst thing about this forum is people who forget to check their spelking bfore subittong comments.

It’s there when you come to it. You can look, listen, follow links, post or not post, keep tuned in. Just luv it when old friends meet here - taste, smell, colour, feelings, emoticons, its got the lot.;-)

Where would we be without Michael Gill? His thought-provoking opinions have sparked off more entertaining discussions than most!

And the odd barney or two!

Meant: Just love it when old friends reconnect here. The session makes the world smaller.

I want one!
But I’m not allowed :-(