St Patrick’s Day in exotic places

St Patrick’s Day in exotic places

Green-coloured parties all over the world, in Sligo, Sydney and Seattle. But I surely would not have expected a St Patrick’s Day-event to be advertised for the gasthof in Kirchhundem-Würdinghausen, a village in the Sauerland hills in central Germany. Any more parties and gigs coming up in unusual surroundings?

Re: St Patrick’s Day in exotic places

Im playing in ballyfermot in dublin. Believe me, this is unusual as for the past few years (maybe longer) there’ve been f- all sessions. Last year in our local, the pub was packed for the racing, but when that finished people were asking were we going to play some music. We got the instruments and one of the lads asked the barmanager in younges for a few pints, to which he scoffed, so we refused to play. This year, the county bar (fowlers) are putting on a bit of music and also clearys (in inchicore), to make an effort.

Paddy’s day at the Dubliners, Dubai. Good local Irish/Scottish band on. Sadly i’m not allowed as you have to be over 21 to enter a pub after 6 o clock.

We are playing in Torrevieja Spain and through this site have heard about a session there so will be good.

The last few St Pat’s days I have been away through work - 2003 I was in New Plymouth, NZ, 2004 in Atyrau, Kazakhstan, and 2005 in Bologna, Italy

There is going to be green cake for morning tea, then a big staff gathering with invited outsiders after work. We usually have a Greek club on Fridays, but this Friday it’s going to be Irish. Yay!! The wearing of the green is pretty well going to be compulsory. We have an Irish dancer on staff, and she’s been practicing! I’ve seen her. It’s going to be quite a show. I might just pluck up enough courage to play a few tunes (among friends) - we’ll see! Regardless, St Paddy’s Day will be celebrated in style here in the middle of the land of Oz.

(among my friends at work) duh!

Beat this guys, I’m celebrating Paddy’s Day in a Bingo Hall - how classy is that?

Well playing that is, as for listening, I’ll be celebrating it with an open air concert by the London Lasses - yabba dabba doo

Welll further to Bren`s posting, we are playing 3 gigs on St Patricks day here in sunny Spain, we are having a session on the 16th as a warm up, and hopefully to meet up with bren`s lot, an interesting few days coming up to be sure.
See sessions Alicante for further details.

A cracking good session in a Bikers’ pub in Bristol!
Rock on! (I might even paint the Harley green for the day)

One of my best St. Patrick’s Day experiences was performing as part of the band for a troupe at an Israeli folk dance festival. I just remember sitting in the “green room” with a few dozen other performers while they were “jamming” -- going through a host of dances and songs just for fun -- and I was trying to keep up. Not so much as a jig or reel that afternoon, but definitely a good time.

Quite looking forward to this year’s fun: I’m playing with a friend of mine at a rather stoss dinner club in downtown Boston; we’ve played informally in sessions or as part of a larger ensemble, but never as a duo.

Posted by .

I’m playin’ in Fayetteville, AR. BTW,
Did anyone see that AP photo of the tennis star, (Sharipova or was it Kournikova?), posing beside the bodhran player (statue of) outside
the Irish Center in Dubai ?

There will be a session in Helsingborg, Sweden at Pub Ro (northern harbor). Välkommen!

I’m playing in a green beautifull Island in the atlantic ocean: Tenerife, at a pub called Molly Mallone, in Puerto de la Cruz. Lots of Irish turists there and good beer.

Posted by .

I’ll be playing at Cafe ’T Hoefke,Bergen Op Zoom,Holland

Nice discussion. I’m one of the organizers of St Paddies Day in Würdinghausen.

It all started 3 years ago, when we did a SPD party with 5 friends, 70 cans of Guinness and 6 bottles of whiskey, and hell, it was a party!

After this we decided to let also other people join in this great event - and organized the event in our local pub…

You can find pictures of the 2006 SPD here:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/548748927mXOgAA