Corofin Festival

Corofin Festival

was anybody at the recent festival in corofin?any feedback?

Re: Corofin Festival

Yes, excellent again, but I thought there were less impromptu sessions in the pubs this year.
My keyboard workshop with Brian McGrath (ex 4Men and a Dog) was good, and particularly enjoyed Tim Collins and Garry Shannon in the Angler’s Rest on Sunday night.
Shame about the lone American Scots piper in full tartan gear playing loudly to himself up a dark alley at 11.30 pm, (sad person, what was THAT all about in a place like Corofin?).
But nice, intimate local festival, and time on Sunday morning also to go hunting for wedge tombs and other archaeology and flora etc. up on the Burren, which might make me some sort of sad person also. No shame.

Crinniu were excellent. Very talented musicians who put on a great show.

Posted by .

I saw that tartan fellow setting up his pipes in a pub where a session of teenagers & children was in full swing (all playing at 100mph). I supposed I was just pretty relieved when he didn’t try to join in.

Perhaps that is why he went outside.

Great sessions, good classes, nice people & very children friendly.

If you had brought your children and they saw the fun the talented young people were having playing in sessions, you mightn’t be able to stop them from practicing.

I was there and played every night - a really friendly atmosphere and loads of interesting people to talk to as well as playing - I also did quite well for free Guiness for the musicians. The pubs didn’t seem to shut.
It is not for intermediate player though, it is wall to wall reels at 180 per minute. Hint - pick the session with older players rather than kids if you want to contemplate joining in.

I went to Tim Collins workshop on Saturday and purposefully hung around to listen to the children being auditioned for workshops - their standard is awesome!!! Many are multi-instrumentalists - I saw quite a few playing different instruments the next day.

I then went on to Noel Hills Irish Concertina School last week - phew, that was intensive. Danger - Tune overload!!!!

I’d just like to congratulate Padraic O’Reilly on organising this amazing festival. It has so much going on, sessions, concerts and classes!

It was lovely to see that amount of concertina players coming for lessons for a weekend festival and other instruments also. (I was teaching - The students were great by the way!)

Great Festival !
I particularly liked the concertina workshop with Tim Collins 🙂. Crinniu’s concert was fantastic too !