Siobhan Peoples

Siobhan Peoples

Some time ago in a discussion about playing injuries, Siobhan Peoples’ name was mentioned. At the risk of being indelicate, can anyone share what ailment, difficulty, or injury she experienced?

Joe

Re: Siobhan Peoples

Car accident, I believe it was, but could be wrong. She either totally lost or lost the use of I think it was the ring finger of her left hand, or perhaps it was two of her fingers. She plays beautifully without them (and I know of people who have seen her play who didn’t even notice), but what a terrible thing to have to learn to do, yes?

I don’t know about this personally, someone told it to me, so info could be just plain wrong. 🙂

Which of course got me wondering, and I found this rather interesting link -- very interesting, on “Embodied Space in the Context of Irish Traditional Fiddle Playing.” Worth a look! Anyway, I guess Siobhan Peoples plays with two fingers only, with the occasional use of the third finger for ornaments. Wow. She’s amazing!

Thanks Zina,
It seems that every musician, and every person I know for that matter, has some “deal” they have to deal with. Most of us have some inpediment to music making. How we manage is all about character and the stuff inside of us. I’m always moved by such stories. IIf you are busy trying to learn to play better, you don’t have time to wallow in self-pity. Hooray for Siobhan! We can all learn from examples like hers. Do you know of any recorded source of her playing?

Joe

Tons -- do a search, the woman is all over the place. Do go look at that link, there’s all manner of video clips of different fiddlers (Tommy Peoples, Bobby Casey, etc., as well as clips of different sessions roundabout Ireland), including two of Siobhan, one how she played before the accident and one after.

Oops, yes I did! Thanks, Glauber, yes, that one is it. 🙂

That is a great site, Zina, but on a quick reading I found the piece on Siobhan Peoples a bit technical. She is wonderful. Plays at Paddy Quinn’s on Saturday evenings and regularly at Cruises in Ennis. I remember one evening at Cruises listening to a really fast tune and wondering to myself, “What is the name of that reel?” It was only as Siobhan was finishing that I realized (to my private embarrassment) that it was the hornpipe “Rights of Man.” I watched her closely the following night at Paddy Quinn’s and she seemed to be playing frequently in second position. If she has a problem, I think it is with the little finger aka the pinky.

Well, yes, Luke, I’d assume it was someone’s paper for something or other (a ethnomusiciologist or something?), so, yes, it’s very technical (and I think missed the boat on a couple of things, like, they seemed to think that Ms. Peoples’ version of Blackbird was different only because of her injuries, not realizing that it may well have been different simply because her preferred setting may have changed between then and now), but on the other hand, what great video clips! 🙂

While I was in Ennis, someone told me something about her only using two fingers with the third one only sometimes -- I never did see her at Cruises, though it seemed I saw everyone else I knew there! 🙂 (Right, Cecile?)

I thought Siobhan lost the use of her finger from tendanitis. Its the first I heard about her in a car accident!

Posted by .

Last October I was lucky enough to sit down and play a couple of tunes with Siobhan in Cruise’s pub in Ennis. I didn’t know about the injury (in fact, I didn’t know the intense dark-haired woman was Siobhan Peoples until I was told!) After watching her play, I asked her, “are you playing all these tunes with just two fingers?” she said, “yeah, I had an injury some years ago”. That was it. Then we played more tunes. She moves fluidly between first, second, even third positions to hit notes. As Cathal Hayden said to me: “Siobhan’s a mighty woman!”

Posted by .

Tmack - all this info adds to my conclusion that we can overcome all kinds of problems if we want to. What if we can’t play at session tempos? The music sounds great played many different ways. Thanks to all you above folks for sharing details.

Joe

I have to say, I think that the ‘embodied space’ essay is hilarious. Reminds me of art school lectures… I especially liked the schematic diagram of ‘different spatial organisations between pub-session and gig’ - very scientific!

But I would *love* to see those clips. Unfortunately they won’t open on my PC - I just get an image icon in an empty page. Can anyone tell me what software runs those clips?

Posted by .

Helen - The clips run on quicktime on my computer. Quicktime is downloadable from someplace on the net. A search should find it.
I agree. The space study is a bit much and actually misses the point of the music and interaction.

Joe

Goodgod I hope “peeps” never sees this discussion-she would be shocked!

Really, downey? Why would she be shocked?

Zina

A friend of mine is looking for a cd Siobhan Peoples made called ‘Graiain’
Apparently the record company messed up distributing to.It had a hand to hand distribution only.Has anybody got an idea where I could get a copy?