Welsh tunes - what should we play

Welsh tunes - what should we play

Living in Wales it would seem very bad form to ignore all the very many excellent welsh trad tunes that exist. The problem for me is that I can’t work out which tunes are worth knowing and which are worth ignoring. Any suggestions for welsh tunes we can learn and play at our session? The Ashgrove seems to be the one everyone suggests so don’t include that in your list please.

Re: Welsh tunes - what should we play

Tom Edwards - galloping Nag - Y Derwydd (The Druid) is an excellent set, we used to play that at the old Bristol Fiddles sessions at the Nova Scotia.

Any chance of posting The Ashgrove and The Druid on this site? I live and play in Liverpool, my Dad was Irish and he is where I got my love of ITM, but my Mum was part Welsh and apparently her Mum played squeeze box and I would love to learn some Welsh tunes.

Have a look here:

http://www.welshtraditionalmusic.com/

That web site was started by a thesession.org member after discussions about the appropriateness of posting Welsh tunes here.

Also, search for "welsh" on the Links page - there are a few Welsh group home pages there that might be of interest.

Posted by .

My current fav is (possible spelling error coming up) Machynlleth

Posted by .

"My darlings a sheep" would be topical.

Didn’t I overhear you exclaim "Baaaaa Humbug!" the other night Geoff?

If we played The Ash Grove at our session, it would result in a very long, very rude rendition of "The Mayor of Bayswater" from the punters, and we wouldn’t get a note in edgways for the rest of the night!

Llanman - If you live in Wales and you are interested in Welsh traditional music, you should meet a man by the name of Gary Northeast - no doubt many of the respondants to this thread already know him. Although born in England (S.E., not N.E.), he has lived in Wales for many years and plays a very active part in rediscovering, reviving and keeping alive the old dance music of Wales. He runs regular tune-learning workshops in North and Mid-Wales - not sure where or when. I met him busking on melodeon in Newport, Powys, and he subsequently showed up at one of my friend’s local sessions in Llanidloes.