Your "MUST HAVE" ITM recordings

Your "MUST HAVE" ITM recordings

Title pretty much explains it….. this has undoubtedly been discussed before but oh well here goes………..

ok, so it’s my 13th Birthday in a few weeks time and the only thing i can really think of that i desperately need are cd’s.

Now these would be ITM recordings as the only ones i have got are lunasa and the drones and the chanters vol. 2. (most of the cd’s I have are scottish with a couple of english ones thrown in).

So the cd’s I would like to have would have or include:

fiddle (definitely)
Uilleann pipes
Whistle (possibly)

ON my list at the moment is just Gerry O’Connor’s cd - Journeyman.

I was thinking of getting some of those archive recordings off folktrax - any of those you recommend?

Thanks so much if you can be bothered to answer this,

Sam

Re: Your "MUST HAVE" ITM recordings

to start off with: Gerry O’ Connor is a great choice. If you like his style, try Kevin Burke’ s In Concert. My favourite.

The Chieftains (the traditiional stuff, remember they have done lot of joint ventures with musicions from many different genres) , Planxty, Altan and Danu

Some ideas for you:
Planxty - After the Break or Words and Music
The Bothy Band - Out of the Wind Into the Sun (or indeed anything else)
Dervish - Midsummer Night or Playing with Fire
Paddy Glackin and Paddy Keenan - Doublin’
Sean Smyth - The Blue Fiddle
Caoimhín O Raghallaigh and Mick O’Brien - Kitty Lie Over
Noel Hill & Tony Linnane - album of the same name

Solas. Get yourself some Solas and be quick about it. Afterwards, maybe a little Danu, and John Doyle and Liz Carrol’s In Play. But the Solas, man! For God’s sake get the Solas.

I”ve heard Paddy in the Smoke described as a must-have.

And I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned Altan yet.

Sam,

Please don’t pay Peter Kennedy for any of his Folktrax recordings. The bulk are of extremely dubious provenance and did not result in the musicians receiving any money.

Posted by .

Off the top of the head:
Denis Murphy and Julia Clifford (Star above …)
Paddy Canny and PJ Hayes
Andy McGann and Paul Brady
Molloy, Peoples, Brady
Peoples (High Part of the Road)
Dolores Keane (There was a maid)

Posted by .

Geoff, do you have a link to further information on that issue?

Has this subject been done to death yet? It is getting up to the ranks of Bodhran Bashing and Banjo questions.

Posted by .

Well, Unseen 122, the ‘must have’ list keeps changing with the influx of new recordings and new members. I also like to know what other people consider a ‘must have’.
I agree with the Andy McGann and Paul Brady selection, there is lovely steady timeless music on that CD.

Posted by .

Very astute and insightful, Unseen, very well done for spotting that 😉 - so what are your recommendations?

I’d second 54321, Flossy, and Conan, and maybe add Gleanntan by Sliabh Notes and Set You Free by Nomos, and the Music At Matt Molloy’s Cd
Mark

Alright Ottery. Well, there are so may good albums out there. So here is my short list and current favorites from certain bands:

Danu- Think Before You Think
Lunasa- Lunasa
Dervish- Playing With Fire
Teada- Give us a Penny and Let Us Be Gone

Solos:
Any Seamus Ennis you can find.
Niall and Cillian Valley- Callan Bridge
Manus McGuire- Saffron and Blue (an often over looked album)
Kevin Crawford- In Good Company

That is the short list.

Posted by .

Spot on, Unseen!

Posted .

Brian Conway’s First Through the Gate is a must have as well. Great article about him in the Wall Street Journal on March 17!

Posted by .

I can’t believe no one seems to have mentioned anything about De Dannan in this thread. Their songs were pretty lame (except for when Dolores Keane was with them) but their instrumentals were second to none and in my mind superior to that of any of the others bands mentioned up to now-and I don’t say that lightly. It takes amazing talent, etc. to be able to play the tunes just straight without any fancy changeovers (ex. Lunasa) and still kick a**. In fact, they were so good that a lot of people, including myself, used to buy their albums just for the tunes and program the songs out of their CD players with no complaints 🙂

In particular, the albums "Ballroom" and "Anthem" are great (Mairtin O’Connor was still in the band then).

Posted by .

Anything by James Kelly
Kevin Crehan - An Badog sa Bhadog (?) I think that’s its name unless I’ve transposed it
Paddy Keenan’s "Brown album", "Na Keen Affair"
Paddy Glackin and Paddy Keenan - Doublin’
Kevin Henry’s "One’s Own Place"
PJ Hayes, Paddy Canny, Peadar O’ Loughlin, and Bridie Lafferty - published under several titles
Seamus Ennis - The Return From Fingal
Ronan Browne and Peadar O’Loughlin - The Southwest Wind and Touch Me If You Dare
De Danaan - "Best Of…"
Tulla Ceili Band 50 year Reunion
Peadar O’Loughlin, Maeve Donelly, and Geraldine Cotter - The Thing Itself
Michael O Raghallaigh - The Nervous Man
Mike Rafferty - Speed 78
Mick O’Brien - May Morning Dew
Mick O’Brien and Caoimhin O’ Raghallaigh - Kitty Lie Over