London Fleadh ——— (or any english Fleadh’s) Informal or Formal?

London Fleadh ——— (or any english Fleadh’s) Informal or Formal?

The london fleadh is on the 14th may at the harringey (sp.?) irish centre and I was thinking of entering….. but do you have to apply or can you just turn up on the day? If you have to apply I might be a bit late for it……. :( does anyone know anything about it??????….

Re: London Fleadh ——— (or any english Fleadh’s) Informal or Formal?

See www.comhaltas.com - go onto the section "Fleadh Cheoil" and there is a link to the fleadh rules, in particular what type of tunes you have to play, and what the age groups are. I believe that if you are under 18, you have to apply in advance, but I’m not sure, and if so, I don’t know when the closing date might be. The London fleadh is one of the regional fleadhs for Britain - see also www.comhaltas.co.uk which gives details of the Comhaltas British regions. The first and second in each competition in the London or any other British regional fleadh qualify fo compete in the All Britain fleadh. The first and second in each competition in the All Britain fleadh qualify to compete in the All Ireland fleadh.

However I see from your details that you live in the West Country. You might therefore want to compete in the Midland Region fleadh instead of the London Region.

Hope this helps. Apologies if you know most of it already.

Posted by .

It’s Haringey with a "H’, and at least you might be close to a variety of other sessions if you can find your way round the joys of the various London ways of public transport - no idea what the local fleadh is like, I should check it out myself, at least for the craic, don’t suppose they have a ‘zouk class.

You can contact the London Fleadh organisers by e-mail on michaelnevin@blueyonder.co.uk. You shouldn’t have a problem entering at this stage as I think the rulebook allows registration up to 3 weeks before the event - not the 24 hours or so as shown in the "Boys and Girl from County Clare" film!

When I competed in 1992 you could register on the day…