Looking for an air or lament from Lewis

Looking for an air or lament from Lewis

I’m looking for a lament from Lewis (Hebrides) to help emote a very tragic story. Can anyone make any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

Re: Looking for an air or lament from Lewis

Tom

The Iolaire disaster spawned a couple of airs and laments , though I don’t know them - Google should help.

Lewis is sadly one of the last outposts for unaccompanied (usually Gaelic) psalm-singing: some of the tunes may be suitable for you. A good and worthy source of such CD’s is the Bethesda Hospice site:

http://shop.bethesdahospice.co.uk/index.jsp

Try contacting Session members Skigersta or Mandy or FrankRennie, all of who are lucky enough to live on Lewis

I’ll keep an eye on this thread with interest

Tom
……..or contact the Lewis Fiddle/accordion Club - Ian the chairman’s a nice helpful guy

http://www.lh-afc.co.uk/

Some of the airs on their CD may be suitable

Thanks domnull - I’ve emailed Ian.

Hi Tom, I’d suggest "Ailein Duinn". It’s a song about a captain (Roderick Morrison) from Lewis, whose ship and all hands were lost at sea. He had been on his way from Lewis to Harris to get married. His bride to be (Annie Campbell) died of a broken heart shortly afterwards. This lament was written by her.

I’m afraid I don’t have all the words, and my Gaelic isn’t good enough to lift them from the recording. The CD you can find a recording of this song on (track 7 on the cd), is by the band "Mac-Talla" - NOT the Irish band of a similar name. It was recorded on the Temple record label, in 1994. (COMD2054)

I think you’ll find the song has a very beautiful, but haunting air to it.

Please pass my regards on to Tom Napper.

Posted by .

have you considered trying to write one of your own in that style with the desired feel you’re looking for?

Thanks Ron - will do. And yes, lisaniska, I would normally - but the story of the Iolaire goes so deep that I’d prefer to use something that’s right.

Tom - "the story of the Iolaire goes so deep "
That is certainly true - I don’t think there was a single village on the island that did not lose several of its young men that day. My parents’ generation (ie those from Lewis in their 70s/80s now) all lost close relatives or friends, and the memories of the disaster live strongly to this day.

Re: go for it

tombliss

depth and ‘rightness’ may turn out to be the same _try

john