Old Box in the Basement Marks the Spot

Old Box in the Basement Marks the Spot

I am about one hour away from heading out on a one-way trip to my new home, which will be Washington, D.C. And of course, I am behind schedule packing like a mad dog but of course does this stop me from keeping the whistle and flute out for regular "tune breaks"? Nope.

In any case, I thought i was done packing when I busted open this box in my storage locker in the basement. And lo and behold there was a treasure inside. A long lost treasure which consisted of an assortment of cassette tapes dating back to 1994/1995/1996 which were my first lessons with my teacher. I have been looking for these on and off for a few years, but just couldn’t quite remember where they’d gone.

And now…here they are.

I don’t thing my rented SUV has a cassettte player, which is a bummer. But my first order of business in DC will be—naturally—not be to unpack, but to listen to these and find a way to turn them into MP3s. One must have priorities, eh?

Anyway, just thought i’d share that. Well, chicos and chicas, see you all on the flip…

Re: Old Box in the Basement Marks the Spot

Dont ye love it when that happens.
When I moved house last year I found all the old tapes that Conán from this site recorded for me when we were teenagers. They brought back some great memories.

Posted by .

That sounds great Blas, Conan as a teenager. Maybe you could get the recordings put up on that web site with all the other wax cylinder stuff?

- Chris

Brendan,
Best of luck in your new location, although as someone who escaped life "Inside the Beltway" twenty years ago, I can’t say I envy you. Fortunately there is some good music in DC, and while I can’t remember the name of it, there is a nice little pub up near the zoo in NW (across the street from a bigger pub called the Four Provinces or something) that had very nice weekly sessions.
Nothing like a move to turn up lost treasures!

Conan’s still a teenager, isn’t he? He’s about the same age as me, and I’ve been a teenager for the last 20 years.

If you want free hosting for the mp3s to share them, I’ve got loads of empty webspace sat on a "big fat pipe" server. If you want to share them with the world, I’ll be happy to help.

I have arrived indeed indeed and not a mintute too soon to bust out the low whistle to play a tune. I mean, what incredible torture it is to be listeng to ITM the whole way (funny how my box-o-CDs drove shot gun) and not be able to play.

The irony now with regard to my newly discovered cassette tapes is that I wasn’t able to pack my boom box that has a cassette tape player. i’ll have to find some cheap-o cassette tape player somewhere.

boy, it would be great post some of the juicey track for the world to listen to. but i reckon i’d have to get permission from my teacher first, and I doubt he’d be very hip on the idea….

and DC-ers around wanna have some chunes? am still hunting for sessions…

Hey AlBrown, thanks for the best wishes and the pub tip…..I live very close to the zoo!!!!

The pub is Nanny O’Briens and it is up on the 3300 blk Conneticut Ave NW Great crowd of musicians down there Musician owned and operated Brian Gaffney plays banjo and guitar . Tell them the Philadelphia crowd says "yo"

cw67q- you do know you shouldnt speak to your elders (betters?) like that?

Posted by .