How many times has this happened to you?

How many times has this happened to you?

You’ve got _thousands_ of dead moths and you don’t know what to do with them!

Oh, sorry, that’s a line from an old "Saturday Night Live" skit.

I’ll start again:
You’re listening to a radio station playing "classic" or contemporary rock/pop, a song comes on, and you start deconstructing it into an Irish traditional tune?
The other night, I was driving home and on the car radio came Steve Miller’s "Swingtown" — an anthem for 1970s-era college students if there ever was one. I listened to that scratchy rhythm guitar intro, and all of a sudden I could hear in my head a bodhran playing a modified 4/4 beat, maybe a fiddle doubling the rhythm, a melodeon coming in on the crashing guitar chords, and finally a flute or tin whistle playing the melody/vocal line.

Good thing I wasn’t far from home, or I might’ve gotten into an accident.

Posted by .

Re: How many times has this happened to you?

No.

But I do want to commission a string-quartet rendition of "Demons of the Fall" by Viking-Metal band Opeth. :)

I spent years messing around with rock music, and see strong similarities between rock and ITM all the time. I have wondered if some ethnomusicologist has traced the connections (DNA, like) between Irish traditional and American blues music. Tunes like Jenny’s Chickens or The Earl’s chair sound very bluesy to me. And the little bits of African traditional music I have heard don’t really sound all that much like the blues.

All the time. I make a point not to listen to anything but trade.

Well, mickray if you want to hear the pure drop equivalent to Blues, listen to Sun House. I have to agree that ATI sounds nothing like Blues. This may just prove your point even more, maybe not.

Posted by .

Unseen, I’m likewise listening to trade on my way to work - but only because stock exchange news are on the radio at that time of the day, and I wouldn’t make a point of listening only to it.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha good one janek :)

Someone told me some German pop songs really sound Irish. And yes, there’s a singer who has been trying to write Irish-sounding songs here in Japan. She even invited Sharon Shannon to back her for a couple of songs. I’ve never heard them, so I can’t tell you if they are good.

My neighbour plays Shakuhachi: http://www.shakuhachi.com The tunes he plays on it are basically the same as Irish or Scottish slow airs, written in the same scales. (By the way, shakuhachi has another meaning in Japanese, but I won’t tell you here.)

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, Slainte! so does "harmonica", I believe.

"How many times has this happened to you?"

"No."

Sorry, Wormdiet, that is not an acceptable answer. "None", or perhaps "nine", would have done.

Personally, I find it happens to me the other way round. It used to happen a lot particularly when I was in the early stages of becoming familiar with Irish tunes - I would hear or read a new (to me) tune and it would remind me of some pop song, nursery rhyme, classical piece or even Jewish cantillation (which has probably played a significant role in the formation of my musical consciousness). And it still happens now. I’ve been learning some Portuguese folk music the last couple of months, and I have the same experience - although, much of the time, I can’t quite work out what the tunes remind me of. It’s a bit like musical déja vu - or ‘déja entendu’.

Some students of mine are into ‘rap’. They had just been to music and were waltzing (more like hyping) around class sporting this CD of seven rap rhythms to compose their raps to. Being supportive of the adults of tomorrow doing ANY kind of music, I offered my laptop for them to play their CD on, with the proviso that they put the tracks into my library, so I could play along with them too. Their eyes nearly popped out of their heads, and they did it, even though I explained my music was very very different to their own!!!

As I don’t have anyone who wants to play the tunes I want to play, I am relegated to playing op’s tunes, or with recordings, or heaven forbid, the beat generator (aka the metronome). I have had great fun playing the tunes I like to play (the latest hot project The Mouth of the Tobique) to their rap rhythmes.

I’d record the results, I’ve tried, but somehow I haven’t been able to record with Audacity while playing the tracks in Jukebox library, and I don’t know how to convert tracks in the library into MP3 or WAV or whatever to transfer into Audacity. (Anyone know how to do this? These cool kids would be thrilled to have the opportunity to laugh at me.)

So, yep, I can hear Irish tunes in ‘rap’ now that I’ve played them there.

Silly me! Yep, thanks Michael. Worked it out, so the boys will get their laugh when we go back to school after Easter.

. "And the little bits of African traditional music I have heard don’t really sound all that much like the blues."

There’s a documentary (I saw it on worldlink TV ) about a Malian guitarist named Ali Farke Toure that traces his beginning on those little gourd guitary things, he got a guitar after he got some money and the resemblance to John Lee Hooker’s music is inescapable. He doesn’t sound at all like Muddy Waters or Gatemouth Brown.

Personally I like playing modal reels over a Bo Diddly
rhythm. It gives them a jumpy, wiggly different type of life. I wouldn’t subject a session, or a dancer, to that but it’s fine band stuff.

What’s a Bo Diddly rhythm?
Just (literally) got one of the rap rhythm tracks, saved it, opened it in Audacity, upped the tempo 20%, then recorded a common jig (twice) with it, and it sounds pretty okay in WAV/MP3 - much more fun and interesting than playing solo. This is a great little school holiday project - quite an experiment. Could crank the tempo up more though and get the percussion flying along a bit. I don’t think the rap boys will be laughing too loud after all. I don’t mind a "jumpy, wiggly different type of life" in my music ‘cause there are no session police in this neck of the woods.

I know a cat named Way-Out Willie,

Tubba-ta-Tubba-ta-TUB * Ta-Tub-Tub

Got a cool little chick named Rocking Millie.

He can walk and stroll and Susie Q

And do that crazy hand jive, too.

Mama, mama, look at Uncle Joe

Doing the hand jive with sister Flo.

Grandma gave baby sister a dime;

Said, "Do that hand jive one more time."

Hand jive

hand jive

hand jive

Do that crazy hand jive.

Doctor and a lawyer and an Indian chief,

They all dig that crazy beat.

Way-Out Willie gave them all a treat

When he did that hand jive with his feet.

Hand jive

hand jive

hand jive

Do that crazy hand jive.

Willie and Millie got married last fall.

They had a little Willie junior and that ain’t all.

Well, the kids got crazy and it’s plain to see,

Doing the hand jive on T.V.

Hand jive

hand jive

hand jive,

Do that crazy hand jive.

I hope that helps. :-)

Yeah, PB like that, (thanks)we always called it a "Bo Diddley". and Thanks for the link Laitch

Mr Diddley´s famous rhythm was also known as:
"Shave and a haircut……….two bits !"

Okay, murf, we’re gonna have to fine you a round of pints for reducing the profoundly sensual Bo Diddley beat to a simple shave-and-a-haircut. :-)

Oh, I dunno, Bob. Some good music has come out of barber shops. What about those quartets ?

OK, I´ll pay up. But pints only, eh? No double whiskies !

Glug, glug…

Now, is that glugging clockwise or anticlockwise?

Clockwise for us in the northern hemisphere, Jan. ……. or is it the other way round ?

There is plenty to Bo Diddly about in central Oz, thanks Jack. Your website has some great stuff, by the way. Fantastic.

Addendum:
Holiday over. The boys stayed back in the classroom at lunchtime to hear the MP3 I made - Irish jig played on two tracks to their rap rhythm wound up tempo by 20%. They went away muttering and reconning it was ‘cool’. Yeah!