Music Software

Music Software

Does anyone have any good advice on what software is good for writing tunes?? Any help would be great!!
Cheers, 290

Re: Music Software

Assuming you want to write (i.e. compose) tunes in abc notation, you could try ABCMus2 (which is the latest version) or ABC2Win, both of which I use. ABCMus2 I find is easier and clearer to write the tunes and has very good help files. You can also add chords and play back the tunes using a variety of instrumental sounds (if you have an appropriate soundcard). However, ABCMus2 doesn’t do printing.
ABC2Win I find isn’t quite so intuitive for writing tunes but is excellent for printing out tunes in full traditional music format.
Modest registration fees are required for both products if you wish to use the full facilities, especially ABC2Win’s printing.

What I tend to do is to scrawl something out on music manuscript paper (which is a darn sight cheaper to design and print out from your word processor than to buy!) and rewrite in ABC notation using my word processor in text mode, saving the final file as a * .abc file. I then play this file using ABCMus2 and do the final tweaking. I use ABC2Win for decent printing.

There are, of course, several other doubtless worthy items of software that can do these jobs. I expect you’ll get details from this forum soon.

Everyone please note. As of now, I have yet to write a tune worth playing at a session or posting on this or any other site!

I used to use ABC2Win for drafting tunes and it workd great, but since switching to a new laptop with WindowsXP, the ABCWin software has been rendered inoperable. Don’t know what the problem is or how to fix it. Lately, however, i’ve been using ABCMus, which works okay, but I would like to be able to have a visual reference…

Are you asking about writing tunes on your computer?
Or transcribing tunes that are already writen on your computer?

Posted .

Brendan
You’ll need to get the XP upgrade to ABC2Win - it works fine on my Windows XP. The latest upgrade to ABCMus is version 2 which works fine, and is worth getting. I had to get new upgrades anyway because my old PC suffered a horrendous hard drive crash and motherboard burnout which lost all my applications. Fortunately, most of the important stuff was installed from cd, and all my data (except for some recent emails) had been backed up to cd (moral there somewhere). So I got a new PC running on Windows XP(Pro) and haven’t looked back since.

Michael- I’d like to be able to write my own tunes (preferebly not in abc format..) 🙂 290

For writing you own tunes I recommend Melody Assistant ( http://www.myriad-online.com/melody.htm ).
It’s pretty good and you can even write notes for different instruments on the same tune and play it altogether.

Ah. And you can convert from dots to ABC and viceversa.

thanks a million for the advice, macsheoinin! i’ll check out the XP upgrade to ABC2Win…

I use a music transcription program called Mozart—very nice sheet music, and it automatically creates a midi file as you transcribe the tune. Works in a Windows format, easy to learn, and you get professional quality results. I’ll try to find the link for it so you can check it out.

Be advised, there are many good transcription programs out there, and you don’t need to spend more than $100 US to get one. Most can be downloaded for trial before handing over the cash. Test fly a few until you find one that meets your needs.

Posted .

A free program for simple composing is Finale Notepad. It’s the litlle brother to the more advanced programs in the Finale-series.
It has its obvious limits, but it’s worth checking out and it’s free.
You’ll find it at www.codamusic.com

Posted by .

Finale Notepad

Looks like a great product, for the price. Do you know if it is able to import or export ABC?

If it has that, i might buy it (though you can probably import/export ABC by making it into a MIDI file, if you have the notepad plus version).

I have a brochure for a program called Autoscore. You can play a tune from any single line instrument or sing, and it will convert your efforts to sheet music. Some versions can even "constrain" i.e. if your fiddle or voice is a little out, it will constrain to the correct note. Sounds too good to be true, which explains why I haven’t bought it. I think it can be found on www.wildcat.com

Does anyone have any advice on what musical instrument is good for writing tunes? Any help would be great!!
Cheers

Posted .

Michael, you are hopelessly, wonderfully, incorrigible!!

Posted by .

Gee thanks

Posted .