I’ve been doing it wrong all these years !

I’ve been doing it wrong all these years !

Ever been listening to someone elses band and had an epipheny ? (come on I get points for the use of language alone, probably not for spelling though !). Myself and my partner (an aspiring whistle player) went up to the Lemon Tree in Aberdeen last night to hear Flook, a great band and I’ve listened to their tunes for a while now, the show was great. So I’m sitting there messmerized by the guitarist, I’ve been playing backing for tunes now for about 11 years, I’ve played with some really good people, some of them even semi famous in this little world of ITM but I was so impressed by this guys style and sheer energy, he did a lot in DADGAD, although he switched to concert with consumate ease, it was the sheer energy of the rythm, not that he was madly chaging chords or anything but just the way he played them, holding the rythm line on a single melodic hanging chord……I came home and hit the net to find out more about DADGAD, now I’ve flirted with it in the past and I use it a lot for songs but I’ve always shied away from using it to back tunes. Can anyone point me at a good site ? I’ve listeded to loads of people who use the tuning for chordal backing and picking tunes but I really just want to accompany tunes with it and the wonderful rythms I heard last night.

Re: I’ve been doing it wrong all these years !

I was there too, and I, and the several whistle-players in the audience could say the same thing about our styles of playing in relation to Brian Finnegan’s playing. I think that would be ridiculous, we don’t "play it wrong" - just different, and I think the same would apply to you.
Ed Boyd is a superb accompanist, and last night was the best I’ve ever seen the band perform. If you want to get into DADGAD, there is a lot of information on the net, and you could find links from previous discussions. I’m sure some of the guitarists on this site can point you in the right direction.
[ Good luck - if I spot someone playing DADGAD in Aberdeen, I’ll have a good idea who it is. ]

Posted by .

Epiphany.

mesmerized (or mesmerised, but let’s not get into that debate), consummate, rhythm

Thanks guys ! especially for the spelling assistance, wat can I say I’m a guitarist ….. Q the jokes… lol

Ed is just one of the many great musicians to pass through the central hub of Manchester Trad Band formation, Steve Landin’s house.
Steve has been playing all sorts of Trad music in lots of bands for 20 years or so and is renowned for his excellent après-session soirees.
It’s where I met Ed, people that turned into flook, and many other great musicians.
The trad world is small but to have one person facilitate such a lot of creativity and fun is remarkable.

PP

Ed is the guitar tutor at the Burwell Bash near Cambridge every year - it’s usually the first full week of August.

Brian also teaches the Whistle/flute class.

It fills up early, and priority is given to returnees.

mesmerised this side of the water… ;)

Priority given to returnees? Isn’t that a great way to build a clique! Harrumph. I’m just annoyed because I missed the cut and got my cheque sent back this year 🙁

Posted by .

As kenny said, they play in a different way, and I don’t know if that’s the "correct way". I mean, there a lot of very good musicians that play incredibly well and each of them have a different style or "touch". That doesn’t mean that one is better than the other, it’s just they are different.

I read in the paper that Flook were playiing tonight and mentioned to the Mrs that I might go and see them, whereupon she countered that I was reading last night’s paper. A bit too smugly, I thought. Now that’s what I call doing it wrong.

Posted by .

Thanks for all the contributions guys, didn’t know about the Burwell Bash, so I think I may take a drive a go see……it’s a bit of a long way though so if you’re there and you see a benused looking Scotsman it’s probably me !
By g/f and I have been having the "it’s not wrong it’s just different" debate for a while now, as a singer and accompaniest I probably take a stronger view of songs when people change them, I am very guilty of taking songs and making them my own but still very recognisable and still done so that those who know the song can join in, as far as tunes go, I follow whoever leads. My g/f is very much in the "it’s not wrong" camp and I am slowly getting there, esp with tunes cos I really enjoyed playing recently with a box player who ‘finnesed’ a few tunes with a tango/calypso rythm. I think my retisance for change came from starting my musical career with Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann, thankfully I have now removed the brush pole from my back 🙂

Bloodyfiddlers - keep on doing it wrong. The tradition depends on people doing it wrong.

Ed Boyd comes from Bath - where i live