De Utriculo…

De Utriculo…

I have a coule of questions about Uilleann Pipes :

1) Is it possible to use the regulators without the drones playing at the same time?

2) I’ve noticed that pipers sometimes need to shut the end of the chanter against their leg. Why?

Thanks 🙂

@+++++

Posted by .

Re: De Utriculo…

I’m still learning (and I guess I will always be) but I can answer at least to your second question. You have to shut the end of the chanter to get some of the notes in a type of fingering. Maybe you’re using the other tecnique, where it is not necessary. Forgive me, I forgot the names of the types of fingering, and I’m not at home. I decide to stop studiying names and to start to practice as much as I can, unfortunately not as much as I would like. But I keep trying. 😉

1) Not on any pipes I’ve seen. The drones are turned off by a valve which covers the airway to both the drones and the regulators. I suppose a different arrangement of the airways could be made.

2) Absolutely essential for closed fingering- you can’t stop the air going through without reducing the pressure on most bagpipes. That would stop the drones too, or at least make them sag.

Northumbrian pipes have the bottom permanently stoppered. This means you can do staccato notes. The fingering on these pipes tends to be very detatched.

But Irish pipes use both staccato and legato fingering. To allow this, the lower end of the chanter is stopped on the knee. In the days of thick wollen trousers, a leather pad was used, but jeans stop well enough without. With the chanter down, you can pop notes out one at a time. Raise it, and you can play like those Celtic mood music records you get in tourist shops.

On most modern-day pipes you can shut off the drones and still play the regulators. The mainstock is bored in such a way that the drones and regulators are fed independently of each other.

if you wamt answers from experienced pipers i reccomend you try the chiff and fipple uilleann pipes forum for any further questions……. not that any of the above isn’t good info tho…….

1. The drone switch only turns the drones on and off, the regs are independent of the drones and thus you can play the regs with the drones off.

2. the uillean is played "close fingered", that is, you only lift the the one (or 2) fingers necessary to play the note, all of the other fingers stay on the holes - this is different than the Highland Pipes and the tin whistle which are open fingered.

all holes covered, chanter on the knee = no sound, lift the chanter and it plays D, so in other words, lifting the chanter allows you to play "low D". The uillean pipes can play D in 3 different octaves with different fingerings. You can also lift the chanter to achieve different effects on other notes.

Jeff
a piper

Posted by .