Single reels

Single reels

The ceili band I play in is about to start playing more sets and in figuring the set lengths we dicovered that it would be handy to know a bunch of single reels ( in my parlance that’s a reel played ABAB). We especially need three-part single reels(ABCABC). If anybody has any suggestios for tunes that fit the bill please chime in. Thanks.

AOG

Posted by .

Re: Single reels

Single reels are very common. Just look for music that doesn’t have the :| repeat signs, or for stuff that repeats 4 bars instead of 8. Off the top of my head: Mullingar Races, Cup of Beer, Rolling in the Ryegrass.

You alredy know about the Dublin Reel, Humors of Ballyconell & the three part Limerick Lasses. When Jay was over on saturday night I went through the Krassen O’Neills & came up w/ these three part single reels
Flogging Reel
Jennie Rock the Cradle
The Merry Sisters
Lord MacDonald’s
Ballinasloe Fair
The Kerry Huntsman
The Rambling Sailor
The Graf Spee
The Bunch of Keys (Which is what someone playing the flute will need to get through that tune)

Then there’s also one of my favs - “Tripping Up the Stairs” aka Paddy Taylor’s

Double singles are a lot easier to come by

Three part single?
Craigs pipes

Posted .

The Sailor’s Bonnet - it only has two parts, but it is usually played ABB, so it is 24 bars long in total.
The Banks of the Ilen is another one played ABB.

Sorry to keep posting in little bursts like this. Another ABB tune is The Macroom Lasses, as played by Jackie Daly and Seamus Creagh. It’s the reel version of Faral O’Gara’s Schottische, posted in the ‘tunes’ section a few days ago.

Correction: When I said ABB, what I really meant is that, including repeats, the A-part is 8 bars long, whilst the B-part is 16 bars long.

Galway Rambler (its in the tunes section)

Thanks All. If anything more come to mind please post them. I will be checking in regularly so the effort won’t be in vain. We actually got some encouragement for this project from a set dance instructor. What we are trying to do is match tunes to bar for bar with the structure of the individual sets as an aid to the dancers. According to the fellow we talked to the bands he has worked with just play whatever and stop wherever they happen to be when the dances ends. Thanks for the help.

Posted by .