to old ?

to old ?

I began to play the fiddle when i was 33 (i’ m 44). Do you think it’s posssible to regress, to play worse than the month before, isn’t it a sign to keep my hands from it ???

Re: to old ?

Nah, i don’t think your to old. My dad started late as well, and if anything he’s progressing! If you put your mind to it you will get it. And make sure that you enjoy what your playing and who you are playing with. It doesn’t matter how good you are when you like something!
Good Luck !!

It’s never to late to play an instrument. I’m from Norway an read about a man from Sweden. He started to play the two-row button accordion at the age of 91! He played in ten years to his death 101 years old!

it also probably helps your aging brain to stretch it.

Posted by .

Of course it’s _possible_ to regress. It’s even *likely* to regress, at any age, if you let yourself practice bad habits. That’s the trick…

Everybody does it. You get good enough at the fiddle to get lazy with your practicing, and you start letting yourself get away with things that you wouldn’t normally do (eg: Now you’re working on learing more complicated tunes, but you’re thinking less about your rhythm… and so you r rhythm gets worse, and you end up training yourself to play with worse and worse rhythm).

It’s quite common.

The best recommendation I can give is to keep *practicing*, and don’t assume that it’s the same to simply "play".

Didn’t Willie Clancy start playing the pipes in his 50’s??

I am learning guitar making now at 54, does that count?

I think if you love something and have an enthusiasm for it so that the learning doesn’t seem like work, why not?

I think we’re all singing from the same hymn sheet when we say it’s never too late to do anything. We all need an interest and something to keep our minds active. Keeps us young at heart!!

Did I mention I’m 40 and learning the piano!!!

i agree with all of you. i don’t feel old at all but just in one of those moments you’ve the feeling to be in stand by for a while, and just don’t know what to do to improve…

shtrum willie clancy started playing the pipes in his twenties (still quite late mind you)

I took up the box last year (49years old), and have definitely regressed to point where I’m worse than when I started.
I just can’t believe I’m 49 years old - where did all the time go?

I was the top side of 60 when I started learning to play the fiddle, but to be fair there was a lifetime’s experience on other instruments behind me, and that must have given me a helpful start. But assuming there’s no physical disability there’s no reason why anyone can’t learn an instrument at any age providing the willingness to listen, look and learn is there.

There’s many a good tune played on an old fiddle—and the same goes for the fiddler.!! I find that learning any technique , be it playing an instrument, sailing, flying, ski-ing,etc., you inevitably reach the "plateau" barrier which is hard to breach. I struggled as a child with piano lessons, but found the fiddle (literally in my Grandad’s attic !) at 37 and felt immediately "at home".—"Say not the struggle naught availeth, The labour and the wounds are vain " ( Arthur Hugh Clough . 1819-1861 )

duffgen - the same for me, piano as a kid and hated it, then fiddle at 38, one of the biggest things that I realised is that you have to learn to be happy with how you play today, realising that what you play today will help you play better tomorrow.

One big lesson I have learnt from here is that the learning of an isnstrument is more a circle than a line, learn to enjoy going around the circle, don’t think that happines is to found at the end of the line.

Think that might have been one of MG’s comments.

Here’s another (comforting) quotation—- "To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive, and the true success is to labour "

(Robert Louis Stevenson)

Re: too old ?

Yep. You’re too old… we’re all too old… happily, also too old to care… So, play on…

Posted by .

44? 49?? 38??? Enough of this teenage angst!

My dad took up the concertina in his late 50s. He worked at it until he caught up with musicians who had been playing for 15-20 years, then he overtook them, and now he has a respectable repertoire of tunes. Bags of enthusiasm and a bit of playing each day for fun - that’s all you need.

Yea… but is he playing a real concertina, or one of those wheezy British mouse-traps like what you play? :-D hahahaha (run away)

The trick is to get as good as you can before you die.

Who made you the comment adjudicator? Besides, only concertina players would understand that one. Especially the Sidney ones. ;-)

Maybe a badge is in order.

You might consider the idea that you aren’t getting worse, but perhaps have matured musically and are expecting more of yourself. This is a good thing as you are exposing yourself to other good musicians. There will be a point, when you finally break through and can pick up the instrument and like what you hear right from the start, but I agree with the others, it does take practice and on a regular basis. And hopefully you have a good instructor who can help you through the rough spots. If you haven’t already, you might consider attending a camp with others at your level. It’s nice to comiserate at times.. Good luck!

I’m heading to old, but not too old yet I hope

I started to learn fiddle from scratch at age 44ys; am now 46 and mastering some quite difficult tunes; but I always sigh when I hear my tutors son play( he is 11); he is just so relaxed and seems to find even the most complex rolls, triplets etc. so much easier to play…oh for that innocent, uncomplicated approach of a juvenile ; we "oldsters" unfortunately have a tendency to bring along alot of unecessary psychological baggage that can form barriers to our learning processes (e.g. have I got something for tonights tea, did I lock the house, what time do I have to pick up Junior from cubs/brownies, (or if you have teenagers, from their best friends, clubs etc.)) We all seem to live such complicated lives nowadays it can be difficult to "free your mind" sufficiently sometimes to allow the learning process to take place, which is why, IMHO, being older and learning to play an instrument is difficult, but not impossible!! BTW, it helps to have a good tutor/friend who can give you loads of support along the way, and make you lots of mugs of yummy coffee!

"I started to learn fiddle from scratch" - LOL, good one.

I get worse as I get older but perhaps I enjoy it more. Older musicians of varying abilities seem to be able to gel easily when playing together so that’s one compensation.

Posted by .

I’m 42 and started playing the fiddle in September I’m crap but loving it I’ve always wanted to play since i was young no money for music lessons in this house, I was told, now I have my own house there is money for music , strangled cats is the music that pours from my house, keep playing even if your getting worse its the loving it that counts .