Obit: Derek Bell

Obit: Derek Bell

Sad news to report of the passing of Derek Bell.
Rest in peace.

RTE today:

"17/10/2002
Chieftain Member Derek Bell Has Died

Derek Bell, a member of the Chieftains, has died suddenly in the US.

Bell, who was 67, had been recovering from minor surgery. He had been involved with the Chieftains for the past 30 years.

Widely considered to be one of the finest harpists in the world, he also had a successful solo career while working with the Chieftains.

Bell joined The Chieftains in 1972, after a career as harpist with the Northern Ireland BBC Orchestra.

A resident of Northern Ireland, he has several solo albums to his credit, in addition to the more than thirty recordings with the The Chieftains.

He also gained a reputation, along with the other Chieftains, for unearthing rarely heard music."

Re: Obit: Derek Bell

🙁

That is really too bad. Between Martin Fay leaving and Derek’s death, I wonder if the Cheiftans be able to keep going. Sad news.

No question about it, an era is ending for Irish musicians. I had never seen the Cheiftan’s live until this very year. You just don’t know how many chances to do something are left in your lifetime. At least I got that one right. God Rest Derek Bell. I hope he smirks when the angels hand him his heavenly harp.

Mark

I had the honour of meeting Derek Bell at his house many years ago. He was a man for whom the phrase "a gentleman and a scholar" was probably coined. God rest him.

I’ve just posted "Carolan’s Welcome" to the tunes section [my first foray into writing ABC, with help from Glauber — thanks!]. I think this is a great choice if you’re looking for something to play in honor of Derek Bell. This tune was one of the little-known tunes that Derek Bell brought to the attention of a wider audience. The original title and words to the tune were lost. The title "Carolan’s Welcome" is a modern title which arose after The Chieftains played this tune to welcome the pope to Ireland when he visited in 1979.

Sarah

Posted by .

Rest in peace, Derek Bell

A very sad new
We will never forget the huge work he has done for ITM and for the music of the world.
A wish a great courage to Paddy Moloney, Martin Fay, Sean Keane, Matt Molloy and Kevin Conneff.
God rest this great Gentleman

🙁

The Late Session program is excellent, a must listen.

Direct link to the RTE programme mentioned above - I agree, really good. Pity they didn’t take more care over their studio engineering!!! But a wonderful insight into the man and his many talents:

http://wwa.rte.ie/rams/radio/thelatesession.ram

That program gets updated every friday night, i think, so listen to it before it goes away. It includes an interview with Paddy Moloney about Derek Bell, then an older interview wtih Bell himself. Both interviews are gems.

I’m really enjoying hearing the old interview of Derek Bell… listening to him talking about taking Mary O’Hara’s The White Kitten and what he did with his own arrangement. The bit about meeting the Qeen was priceless.

What a loss to all.