Spanish Lady Lyrics

Spanish Lady Lyrics

Does anyone have the lyrics written down for the Chieftain’s version of Spanish Lady they sing in their "Irish Evening" recording? It talks about a fair young maiden who washes her clothes in the pale moonlight (instead of washing her feet)… The final verse starts off with, "Now blue it is a lovely color…" and I get lost from there.

Thanks!
Paul

Posted by .

Re: Spanish Lady Lyrics

The lyrics of `the Spanish Lady` were composed by Joseph Campbell( Seosamh MacCathmhaoil )1879-1944.A Belfast man and well respected poet.He would have written it about 100 years ago and also wrote the lyrics of `My Lagan Love`.He published 10 books of poetry between 1904 and 1917,and was a contemporary of W.B.Yeats.He often collaborated with Herbert Hughes who put music to Joseph`s lyrics.He died in Glencree in Co.Wicklow.It is still rumoured in Belfast that he loved all sorts of ladies-not just Spanish ones!!

Posted by .

I remember googling for "Spanish Ladies", ie the sea-song, and got 750,000 matches ! I’m sure some of those "ladies" were quite charming, too, but I did find the words I wanted within the first 20 answers or so.
And then there’s your chorus; 20, 18, 16, 14………and none, 19, 17, 15….and one, or was it the other way around ( no, not upwards, the odd ones first ) ?

Thanks, Gary — looks like that did the trick!

Posted by .