Celtic "Soul" Music?

Celtic "Soul" Music?

As ye’s should know by now the acronym (or initialisation) ITM hammers my mammaries (ie gets on my t!ts) big time - but that’s just me. Or is it me?
So, on the same cringe-whinge, how many of the rest of youse out there cringe, even just ever so slightly, when you hear what we play, described as Celtic Soul Music?

No-one? Oh, is that right? Let me tell you why I do…no I don’t really, I just grimace an expression registering something between bemusement and pained forgiveness…

1. The term "Celtic" really refers to a linguistic branch of Indo-European languages. Just because Welsh, Breton and Cornish Brythonnic languages are related to Irish Manx and Scots Gaelic languages, even though the gaels do q rather than p, that doesn’t mean their folk music traditions are comparable. I’d like to read evidence to the contrary. English is spoken in the West Indies. So do they have many Morris sides down there? Please fire away.

2. Soul Music is a specific term referring to an African American musical form which, and I’m no expert on this one, came about in the 1960’s as a sub-species and hybrid of Jazz and Gospel, with Country thrown in. Initial main exponents were Sam Cook, Otis Redding, Sam and Dave etc. The Soul term I believe came from the Gospel influence.

But really, if you think about it, ALL music is soul music. By definition. (It’s like a water company saying our water is wetter than anyone elses - ie like saying, soul music has more soul than any other other music…) Unless the music is made up by a robot. Or if you don’t think humans have souls…

Discuss, if you feel inclined (nobody’s forcing you…._

Re: Celtic "Soul" Music?

I’ve never heard this term, perhaps I’m not paying close enough attention, or it hasn’t caught on — thankfully. I think "Celtic soul music" is misleading, as you pointed out. I do think "Irish traditional music" describes the bulk of what we talk about on this website, and what I play personally. I wouldn’t want to have to type the whole thing out everytime I refer to it though, so ITM works for me.

Back when Van Morrison was recording in studios in Marin Co, Calif., Warner Brothers records used that term for some of his stuff.

I’m finding "ITM" to be a handy abbreviation. "Celtic Soul"…
I never hear it, really.

"Blow up yer TV…" — John Prine

stv

http://cdbaby.com/Culchies

Somebody in Latvia told me, with total conviction, that fish don’t have souls. Is this true?

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the universe than we do now.

http://www.globusz.com/ebooks/Hitchhikers/00000029.htm

“Somebody in Latvia told me, with total conviction, that fish don’t have souls. Is this true?”

I think not as many a time I’ve had a filet of their souls, at least that’s what the fishmonger told me it was! Gotta love aural transmissions!

Peace,
Ed

All I know is that the answer is 42.
Now, what was that question again?

Shoes have soles.

I like this anagram thing Danny. I can be "Randy Bona Reel" or the "Rayon Reel Band"

I wouldn’t be upset if someone called it "Celtic Soul Music" - it sounds nice for the once or twice. If people took "ownership" of the term, or started to define what was and what wasn’t "CSM" , or filed music under hat name, then it could become tedious very quickly.

Posted by .

Wasn’t that the Commitments ?

Cheers Bren, just Effen about as usual. As I said, I’m not offended, but would be mildly bemused/pained forgiveness. And I certainly HAVE heard it called thus, possibly on this site.

Och welll…………….

I was quite taken by the anagram thing, so here are some anagrams of commonly-found session members. A fantastic number of no prizes for the answers.

MANTRA PIG
HELICAL GLIM
TOE TRY
GREEN PET SUEY
BARN OWL
CHIVE CULTS
BATH THEM ONTO PUNT
WHAT SOYA DID ODD

Excellent, Jerry! I can only get Guernsey Pete, Ottery, Showaddy and Michael Gill, anyone else get them? In fact this might merit a thread on its own……………as long as no-one gets offended……………..

:~}

Oh yeah, The Phantom Button is there as well.

Wait! I’ve got some more!

BRAS BLOND HIS
LEAPS HER RIVETS
BOMB ELFISH
GO HOUND
PET SWOT
ODD FOLLY DEBRIS

I’m afraid Dow and Q are going to be out of luck.

Hmmm…………..just Stewpot this time. Keep them coming though!

the commitments actually called thier music "dublin soul" and never calimed any connection to ITM. i myself have never heard of the term "celtic soul" though i do get seltic, folk, and world music quite a bit

wow you gusy are some real cool froods. certainly know were your towls are.