10th South Wales Tionol
In celebration of our 10th tionol, the South Wales Uilleann Pipers are proud to welcome back to the Rhondda Valleys two long-time friends of the club, and past tionol guests, Mick O’Brien and Gay McKeon.
Piping at the Old Bridge
The 10th South Wales Tionol
September 6th/7th 2019
Pontypridd Museum, Pontypridd
With Special Guests
Mick O’Brien (uilleann pipes)
Gay McKeon (uilleann pipes)
Jacqui Martin (fiddle)
Jason Rouse (tin whistle)
- Opening Concert Friday Night with Mick, Gay, Jacqui and other musicians
- Piping instruction all-day Saturday (beginner and improver levels)
- Fiddle instruction all-day Saturdaay (beginner and improver levels)
- Whistle instruction all-day Saturday (beginner and improver levels)
- Saturday afternoon Piper’s Chair piping recital
- Lunch provided Saturday alongside a demonstration of old 78rpm records of Patsy Touhey, Tom Ennis, Leo Rowsome, Liam Walsh and others played on antique wind-up gramophones
- Evening session on Friday in Pontypridd, and on Saturday in Ferndale (with special guests the Morlais Welsh Male Voice Choir)
The Tionol will be based in and around the Pontypridd Museum, a restored Baptist chapel dating from 1861. The chapel sits on the banks of River Taf at the foot of Pontypridd’s ‘Old Bridge’ which, when first completed in 1756, was the longest single span bridge in Europe.
Mark the dates in your calendars. More information to follow soon. Also follow us on Facebook or Twitter for updates.
By email contact rhonddapiper(at)gmail(dot)com
Re: 10th South Wales Tionol
We have confirmed the venues for our sessions for the tionol.
On Friday evening, following the concert, we will be heading to The Llanover Arms, Llanover St, Pontypridd CF37 4PE. It’s walking distance from the museum. We will be there from 10pm.
On Saturday night we will have a session at the Ferndale Hotel, Duffryn St, Ferndale CF43 4EL. We will start up sometime after 8pm.